• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Life after FI

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Life is soooo good again. Worked that Holley system every way imaginable and in the end happily tossed it. Talking to some guys that are big FI users on alcohol motors the cam we have has too much overlap which was blowing the fuel out as they put it. At idle it was rich and at high speed it was super lean and being a non programmable software system, it was never to be.

So I looked at some of the manufactures of carbs Barry Grant, Holley, Edelbrock, and Quardrajet and talking to the guys whom each collectively have 50 years a piece in racing, the conclusion was to go to Holley. Called Holley for their input and given this truck is 99% highway driven they where adamant against the Truck Avenger due to fuel mileage and vacuum issues. The suggested the Street Avenger version 570cfm and after discussing with the boys, we had reached a conclusion.

I installed a Jegs return pressure regulator, set the lbs at 7.5, made up all my new stainless lines, new filters and WHAM, fired off first click and is damn near tuned perfect out of the box. Very happy with its drive ability and the exhaust cleaned up and the the plugs are burning a nice medium brown...oh happy days!

All that is left is to rip all the FI wiring out, computer and modify the kickdown..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the headaches are over. I'm partial to holley carbs as well I rather like the smaller ones over the bigger ones but you should be good to go. One of these days I'll start mileage testing a 600 cfm holley over the 525 CFM Demon. See if the Holley can get any better mileage than the Edlebrock I was testing.
While center hung bowls are not great for offroad you can modify the carb easily enough to make it run good offroad as well as per my tech article.

canrel

Loc.
Bakersfield Ca.
Did that FI set up use a mass air or a MAP sensor? If you use a cam with more overlap with a MAP sensor , it throws it off. You selling the FI setup?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
In the last three years of holley I havent bought anything that worked properly. In the span of 12 months I had to have my bronco towed home three times. #1 fuel pump, #2 truck anvenger, #3 fuel press. reg.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
UPDATE:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! The new Street Avenger has delivered as promised by the Techs at Holley..nothing but solid running Bronco.

The system was the 2DI with the Air/Fuel ratio kit added on with the 02 sensor. I beat my f'ing head against the wall to no end with it and then my friend Hap looked at me like I am a 'tard, "Bob, too much overlap on that cam, that system is a toy and barely handles a stock 302." Gotta trust a guy whom handles some of Top Fuels machine work and he suggested the Holley. The 2DI system is NOT programmable as many are led to believe, there is no tuning other than the pots on the computer vs its 4DI brother that is fully programmable.

So it has been several weeks and a few tweaks on the High Idle and the float height but other than that it has been totally flawless..cannot be happier though I am eyeballing a 395hp stroked roller 302 with FI because this 314hp is not cutting it and I want a little more rumble also.

Supposedly this new Street Avenger fixed a lot of issues and after being absolutely paranoid about buying one, I give it a full 100% satisfaction and I can be a whiny prick if things are not just right...now I am starting in on the wiring harness removal for the 2DI...OMG what a nightmare.

Best part of all; watching my son go out into the garage with the greatest of love for his Bronco, fires right up into a sweet idle and you see the total love for his first ever truck at 16.

rjp1965

Life is soooo good again. Worked that Holley system every way imaginable and in the end happily tossed it. Talking to some guys that are big FI users on alcohol motors the cam we have has too much overlap which was blowing the fuel out as they put it. At idle it was rich and at high speed it was super lean and being a non programmable software system, it was never to be.

So I looked at some of the manufactures of carbs Barry Grant, Holley, Edelbrock, and Quardrajet and talking to the guys whom each collectively have 50 years a piece in racing, the conclusion was to go to Holley. Called Holley for their input and given this truck is 99% highway driven they where adamant against the Truck Avenger due to fuel mileage and vacuum issues. The suggested the Street Avenger version 570cfm and after discussing with the boys, we had reached a conclusion.

I installed a Jegs return pressure regulator, set the lbs at 7.5, made up all my new stainless lines, new filters and WHAM, fired off first click and is damn near tuned perfect out of the box. Very happy with its drive ability and the exhaust cleaned up and the the plugs are burning a nice medium brown...oh happy days!

All that is left is to rip all the FI wiring out, computer and modify the kickdown..

Did you go with the electric or manual choke model?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
anyone who researches EFI before they install it should know not to use ANY aftermarket efi in their bronco.

I am glad the carb is working out for you but oem EFI would have beat on the holley any day of the week.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
anyone who researches EFI before they install it should know not to use ANY aftermarket efi in their bronco..

Gee...almost 7 years of nuthin but love from the Commander 950 on mine (see my sig line). Guess I should toss it anyway??;D

Funny how big a following Megasquirt has. to, ain't it?

On the other hand..you couldn't pay me to touch any of the Projection Holley stuff..so can't argue with the conclusions the OP made.