View Full Version : 9" hogs head removal

MrBingo
05/10/10, 11:34 PM
I am taking the hogs head out of my 71. I have all the nuts off and the drive shaft off. I got the seal cracked, drained all the gear oil out but darned if I can pull the gears out of the axle. Am I forgetting something?

Tito
05/10/10, 11:35 PM
Are the axles out?

MrBingo
05/10/10, 11:41 PM
no. Doh!!!

MrBingo
05/10/10, 11:43 PM
I didn't think I had to take the axles out or at least slide them out. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Tito
05/10/10, 11:43 PM
Dont have to come all the way out but several inches ;D

MrBingo
05/10/10, 11:46 PM
Thanks Tito!

MrBingo
05/10/10, 11:47 PM
okay... was just thinking, how do I do that?

RustyShackelfor
05/10/10, 11:51 PM
take the wheels off and loosen the plate and slide it out.

MrBingo
05/11/10, 12:00 AM
Thanks Rusty. Been about 30 years since I've done this.

RustyShackelfor
05/11/10, 12:05 AM
i simplified it but you will see what all needs to come off when you start doing it.

DirtDonk
05/11/10, 01:36 AM
Once you get the drum off you can see that the axle flange has a hole in it just the right size for a socket so you can get it on the 4 nuts that hold the backing plate to the axle housing end.
Just rotate it around to the four positions and you can get the nuts off.

The big deal comes when you discover whether you're one of the lucky ones.... Or not!
Most of these tend to get stuck in there good when they've been left alone for thirty years or so. Often you'll get one out with no fuss, then the other one takes you all day.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk
05/11/10, 01:38 AM
Oh, and I hate to add to the hassle and expense, but if you don't know the history of your wheel bearings, or think they may have more than fifty thousand miles on them or so, just bite the bullet and change them now. While you've got the axles out.

Sure, it's not that hard to do it another time, since you only have to pull the axles out for this, but doing it now is worth it.
Cheap insurance.

Paul

vinson
05/11/10, 05:04 AM
an don't forget to replace the seal also

broncodriver99
05/11/10, 08:19 AM
X2 on replacing the wheel bearings and seals. Also, a slide hammer with an axle flange adapter makes quick work of getting the stuck axle out and there will be one. You can borrow one from most auto parts stores with the loan a tools.

noreasteb
05/11/10, 09:31 AM
X2 on replacing the wheel bearings and seals. Also, a slide hammer with an axle flange adapter makes quick work of getting the stuck axle out and there will be one. You can borrow one from most auto parts stores with the loan a tools.

Another option if you don't have a slide hammer is to re-install the drum backwards with lug nuts loosely on and use the drum as a slide hammer. As stated above one axle took a few minutes to remove and the other about and hour or more.

Skiddy
05/11/10, 09:34 AM
one more thing is back the brakes off or your drums may not come off

BroncoDawg
05/11/10, 10:34 AM
I hooked my slide hammer in the access hole on the axle flange and the axle came out after a few tries. Good idea to change bearings and seals if older.

When pulling out and reinserting the axles, be careful not to let the axle ride on the inner seal (in the axle housing) as can take it out of round and will then leak:(:mad::cry: Ask me how I know. LOL