• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can i and how do i make a 69 automatic

Cutthoat1

Loc.
Sonoma
Just got a 1969 bronco and was wondering if it is possible to make the rig automatic. what would i have to change if possible , and what parts would i need to buy. basically im new to broncos and working on cars in general so any help would be greatly appreciated. so again what do i need to do to make this happen , and a ballpark price it would cost me. thanks for the help in advance and i know im a newbie. ;D

rjp1965

Just got a 1969 bronco and was wondering if it is possible to make the rig automatic. what would i have to change if possible , and what parts would i need to buy. basically im new to broncos and working on cars in general so any help would be greatly appreciated. so again what do i need to do to make this happen , and a ballpark price it would cost me. thanks for the help in advance and i know im a newbie. ;D

You definitely can and there is a ton of information on this site about doing it. I am currently doing a frame off restoration / modification on a 1967 EB. I chose to change to an AOD transmission (not electronic) and to rebuild it using the internals from a 4r70w (later model over drive transmission with many improvements to the older AOD). I had to choose between buying a relatively expensive transfer case adapter, or changing to a different transfer case. I chose to change to an NP205 transfer case. It bolts up to the AOD transmission, is a stronger transfer case and for the same price as buying the adapter I was able to have a nice, new competely rebuilt and bulletproof NP205 transfer case. So it's kind of a bonus.

It might be simpler to swap to a C4 or C6 transmission, but I wanted to have the overdrive and didn't look into those options. I believe the stock auto tranny in an EB was the C4 so it might be an easy swap.

I would recommend reading the various tech articles on the subject and using the search function to find build threads where guys are showing what they have done and discussing what was involved.

I can tell you from experience that the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and willing to help. You are in the right place.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Much to your luck it's really not that hard! you'll need a trans, Flex plate, Torque converter trans cooler lines, a fan assist external trans cooler since you have a manual now, and vacuum lines. If you look in the classifieds now you will see that there are several people trying to unload the whole shebang! My advice start simple. get a C4 already mated to a dana 20 T case and have them both rebuilt so you have a trouble free drive train. What motor do you have I6 or V8?