• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dry Fuel Bowl

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is it normal for the bowl to be dry after sitting for a day or more? Also, it seems that my fuel line is empty and I have to wait for my electric pump to fill the bowl before I try to start.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I dunno about normal, but it sure seems to happen to a lot of folks. Being an old(er) person, I drove carbureted vehicles for lots of years before that new-fangled fuel injection took over, and I never remember that happening. Maybe if the car sat for 6-8 months...!

I read a possible explaination not too long ago, talking about lower vapor temps, etc in the newer blend fuels. That may help explain why the gas evaporates so quickly. I chose to work around the problem. I wired in a push button on my dash, right below the ignition switch, that allowed me to run the fuel pump with the key ON and no oil pressure (had an oil pressure switch wired in). My starting procedure was to turn the key on, push the button until I heard a change in pitch in the fuel pump (fuel bowl full) pump the gas a couple times, then START. Worked pretty well...

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've currently got the FP relay hooked up to the I post of the starter relay, as such it requires at least bumping run to latch the relay. I like your idea more, less wear on the starter.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not usually normal for it to completely dry up bhut you probably have a heat soak issue. Might try a thick gasket under the carb it can help. I can let my bronco sit for quite a long time and the fuel bowls dont dry up and thats here in AZ.
I'd change your wiring around so the fuel pump starts running when the key is in the on postion.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've currently got the FP relay hooked up to the I post of the starter relay, as such it requires at least bumping run to latch the relay. I like your idea more, less wear on the starter.
A somewhat off-topic suggestion. Move the coil of the FP relay to wire 904(Green w/Red Stripe) that goes (went) to the voltage regulator. It's a Hot-In-Run wire.

Only reason for the suggestion is that when the engine is running/KeyON, the current available at the I terminal is coming through the resistor wire from the ignition switch. That means if some current is running through the coil of the relay, then less current is available at the coil to produce spark.