• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine id tag

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
i recently bought a 302. the casting numbers say its a 74 but it has an aluminum tag that has date of 6-95 with part no dozzhx and model number right below that. would this mean that its a reman engine? it also has eldebrock intake and carb,mallory unilite dist, and msd blaster coil. thanks

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It could mean anything. I'd call it very fair to assume it's been rebuilt at least once before. I wouldn't really worry about it unless you need to rebuild it, and it's already been bored more than .030 over. Ford doesn't really do the 'matching numbers' thing. Engines never had VIN part numbers like GM, if your going for a 'original' drive train then the best you can do is the year and Truck designation on the part number.