• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Lock Up?

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Just got the "new" engine done and everything filled up. Cranked the engine a few times with the coil disconnected to get some fluids moving around and everything turned over fine. Put the coil back on, pumped the gas a few times, turned over for about ten seconds and then appeared to just lock up! When I turn the key, the solenoid makes a noise but nothing else happens. Also, now when I try to start a small amount of smoke comes from near the starter. Any advice?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pull the starter might be something wrong with it. One time I replaced my starter and the next day at work I went to start it and it did the same thing I pulled it and found that the little clip on the end of the starter drive had come off and wedged between the flywheel and starter drive.

OP
OP
75cobronco

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Pull the starter might be something wrong with it. One time I replaced my starter and the next day at work I went to start it and it did the same thing I pulled it and found that the little clip on the end of the starter drive had come off and wedged between the flywheel and starter drive.

I really really really dont want to do that! The starter is so tight on the headers and was such a pain in the ass to get in there that I dont think I could get it back in once its out again.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
You could try turning the engine by hand with a socket on the front crankshaft bolt...that will at least indicate if the engine is locked up, or if it's the starter

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's what I'd do to under these conditions.
But frankly, I'd certainly rather it be the starter than any of the alternatives!!!

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I really really really dont want to do that! The starter is so tight on the headers and was such a pain in the ass to get in there that I dont think I could get it back in once its out again.

Doesnt sound like you have a choice. Unless you want a nice lawn ornament due to the fact you dont want to pull the starter.?:?
But I digress you can try turning the engine over at the crank to see if it will bust loose. Might want to pull the spark plugs to make sure there's no water in the cylinders and you hydro locked it. but let me guess its to hard to pull the spark plugs as well due to the headers.;D

If the engine does bust loose you may still have to pull the starter to determine the cause of the lock up if that small clip is missing sooner or later the bendix will eat through the end of the starter nose cone and you'll have to pull it anyway.

OP
OP
75cobronco

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Doesnt sound like you have a choice. Unless you want a nice lawn ornament due to the fact you dont want to pull the starter.?:?
But I digress you can try turning the engine over at the crank to see if it will bust loose. Might want to pull the spark plugs to make sure there's no water in the cylinders and you hydro locked it. but let me guess its to hard to pull the spark plugs as well due to the headers.;D

If the engine does bust loose you may still have to pull the starter to determine the cause of the lock up if that small clip is missing sooner or later the bendix will eat through the end of the starter nose cone and you'll have to pull it anyway.

Thanks for the sarcastic advice. What I was looking for was advice on OTHER problems that may cause it to seize. If I have to pull it, I have to pull it. Dick

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be anything from a weak battery or bad cables to a bad starter. Of course smoke is not a good sign but you could have overheated the starter by lugging it with a weak battery. Might try charging the battery before anything else.

I'm 100% sure the engine isn't locked up.

OP
OP
75cobronco

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Could be anything from a weak battery or bad cables to a bad starter. Of course smoke is not a good sign but you could have overheated the starter by lugging it with a weak battery. Might try charging the battery before anything else.

I'm 100% sure the engine isn't locked up.

I would say that you have an intimate knowledge of both the engine and the problems that I have had with those F&%$ing headers getting in the way of everything! I think more than you would have cared to:) Thanks for all of your help Phil!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the sarcastic advice. What I was looking for was advice on OTHER problems that may cause it to seize. If I have to pull it, I have to pull it. Dick

Well Dick. You wont like the OTHER advice on what it could be any better. Pulling a starter is nothing compared to what else it might be.

OP
OP
75cobronco

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Well Dick. You wont like the OTHER advice on what it could be any better. Pulling a starter is nothing compared to what else it might be.

Sorry if I was rude. My frustration level is through the roof with the constant set backs and new problems. The headers are literally cut to a cunt hairs length around everything. I come to this site for expert advice on a specific vehicle that I dont know everything about, not slanted back handed advice about my preference on not removing something. If I was told that it absolutely has to come out then I wouldnt argue or seek alternatives. In my short experience however, I have found that there is more than one solution to every problem. That is what I was seeking, an alternative.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Understood. I wasnt really trying to be a smart ass although I guess I was but you left yourself open. but you still have to figure out why it locked up. Or at least you should want to know why it locked up. I learned long ago that you never want to half ass anything as you'll endup doing it twice. I've done a lot of things I didnt want to do. Pulling the starter is just a step just as is charging the battery, pulling the plugs, and trying to turn the crank are other steps. I hope one of the easy ones works out for you.

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
Check battery voltage 1st. Not much near the starter can smoke if its isnt running, so i would get out the breaker bar and crank it over by hand and see if it will. What was done to your "new" motor? complete rebuild? crate motor?
Almost nobody comes on this site to be a dick, we are a bunch of jokers though. Boronconaz's post wasn't even sarcastic, alot of people have problems getting to their plugs because of the bends in their headers.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Kinda stupid idea but it happened to me when I put my new engine in mine. It turned over once then stopped dead. It turned out to be I hadn't tightened the battery cables and ground cable. Took for ever to find the problem and I felt like a maroon for a while.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
headers are literally cut to a cunt hairs length around everything. I come to this site for expert advice on a specific vehicle that I dont know everything about, not slanted back handed advice about my preference on not removing something.

Great attitude and choice of words there bud!

I've had the battery cables be the culprit on more than one occasion. Most recently yesterday. I went to start and got one click. Immediately I thought I had left the key in the on position from when I was showing a friend my tunes. So I grab the battery charger and hook it up to the battery, set to jump start and get a failed battery status. Mess around with it for a few minutes and turns out the battery cables just weren't making good contact. Remove, clean, reseat and vroom.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you try to turn the motor over by hand from the crank bolt, try turning it backwards a little first in case the starter drive is stuck into the flywheel. Usually this will free it up. I would try this first before you remove the starter. Also if that doesn't free it up just try loosening the starter bolts and moving the starter around a little. This will sometimes free up a stuck starter drive.

Good luck

OP
OP
75cobronco

75cobronco

Loc.
Denver
Understood. I wasnt really trying to be a smart ass although I guess I was but you left yourself open. but you still have to figure out why it locked up. Or at least you should want to know why it locked up. I learned long ago that you never want to half ass anything as you'll endup doing it twice. I've done a lot of things I didnt want to do. Pulling the starter is just a step just as is charging the battery, pulling the plugs, and trying to turn the crank are other steps. I hope one of the easy ones works out for you.

Thank you broncnaz. I do appreciate your advice.

NVraider

Loc.
Elko Nevada
maroon

What exactly is a maroon? Too much Bugs Bunny? I think this is my first post in a year, but the mood of this thread made me do it.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
What exactly is a maroon? Too much Bugs Bunny? I think this is my first post in a year, but the mood of this thread made me do it.

Its what Yosemite Sam would call somthing right after Sam got clobbered. My brother called me that and "stupid paciderm" all the time.