• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horse of the same color?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Is the carb for a Bronco 170-6 cyl the same as used in a 67 Mustang 200-6 cyl?

A friend of my cousins called to see if I had any extra 1 barrel 6 cyl carbs. I did not.

If they are the same, do any of you have a complete, rebuidable one you want to get rid of? If you so, please send me a PM with what you have and what you'd want for it shipped to SW PA (15419 should be a close ZIP). I will forward it to my cousin.

Thanks,
Drew

66halfdone

Loc.
St Louis
I recently bought a low mileage 67 mustang 200 to put in my 66 with a 170. The Mustang carb is an autolite 1100 with a auto choke setup and a paper filter air cleaner. I did put the autolite on the 170 for a short period of time and it fit. It even had the coolant spacer that was on the 170. I cannot help with the spare carb.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think my brother has a factory re-built one off of his 66. We put a 302 in the 66 so he shouldn't need the carb anymore. I'll ask him if he still has it.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Drew, something is dif, but I forget what. The Bronco carb is specific, but the car one can work.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
The carb is essentially the same.......

The difference is the throttle linkage clocking meaning the lever from the throttle plate is in a different position.

I have in the past taken the throttle plate from bronco 1100 and installed it in a mustang/falcon/etc 1100 to get it to work on a bronco and vice versa

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
For what it's worth, the Bronco used a throttle cable pulling from drivers side. The Mustang used linkage working from passenger side. That may be the reason for changing throttle plate. I've got a 69 250 which is the same head, and a 66 200 Mustang and haven't looked yet to see if the carbs will swap over.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Brother said he thought he had one but I think the linkage is different. Also the Bronco carb has a manual choke.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Thanks for all the info. It looks like he'd be best off finding the specific model for the Mustang since he is doing a complete restoration and will want it original.

If he were just trying to make it run for a driver, I suppose a Bronco model could be made to work.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I thought you were looking for a Bronco one, I think I have a car one.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a '66 Mustang 200 as well, will not be using the carb or head, aircleaner, etc.