• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Locker/Traction Device?

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have a 73 w/a d-44 up front.
I want to put in a front locker but not a detroit, because I drive it on the street and I can't afford an ARB at this time....so what are my options at this point...

I'm lazy to do more reserch than type this and wait for the responses! heh-heh;D

.....besides I know there are some of you out there that want to help!;D
Thanks.;)

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Are you saying that your front axle is locked in and engaged while on the street?

I run Detroit front and rear. The only issue is a little understeer, but only while wheeling and in 4 low.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Are you saying that your front axle is locked in and engaged while on the street?

I run Detroit front and rear. The only issue is a little understeer, but only while wheeling and in 4 low.

No my front is open/stock at thsi point.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if you have a stock open up front go with an aussie. VERY happy with mine!!! take the spiders out of yours and install the aussie in place. probably won't even need to reset the gears, but will probably need to remove the ring gear from the carrier to get the pin out/in.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I understand that. You said you didn't want a detroit in the front because you drive it on the street. My point it that you almost never drive on the street with your front differential engaged.

It all depends on your wheeling plans. If you plan to drive mainly on the street, you don't need a locker. If you plan on doing hardcore stuff, you probably want a good locker.

Keep your eye in the classifieds. I see lockers there from time to time and some are good priced.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
X2 on the Aussie! Just got a PM from them on Pirate and looks like they're getting another shipment in from Down Unda in a couple weeks! Been waiting 2 months (backorder). Getting 5 sent out here for da bruddas (1 for myself). Best thing is you don't have to reset the gears. I'm running 3.50s now and plan to re-gear to 4.27s down the road. I can re-use the locker and just get a new open carrier for about $60. $240 for a tried and true locker ain't bad at all in my book + 2 yr warranty and no limitations on HP or tire size!

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I understand that. You said you didn't want a detroit in the front because you drive it on the street. My point it that you almost never drive on the street with your front differential engaged.

It all depends on your wheeling plans. If you plan to drive mainly on the street, you don't need a locker. If you plan on doing hardcore stuff, you probably want a good locker.

Keep your eye in the classifieds. I see lockers there from time to time and some are good priced.

Ah..ok I see your point!..I'm slow on the up take at times. sheesh!
I had an ARB up front in the past and remember having issues to the point of me needing to disingage the locker for turns and such BUT I did not have a twin stick in that as I now have in my Bronco..SO you have a great point!

I think..the other thing might be the problem of snow/ice with a totally locked front end? Not sure on that either..I know I use my truck in those conditions....hmm ya got me thinkin!;D

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a factory limited slip out of my 75 that I just replaced with a Detroit Tru Trac that I will sell you. I think it may be a track lock. Worked well with 35's.