• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tightening up steering....

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Should there be any play where the pitman arm connects to the drag link? I'm working on tightening up the linkage as there seems to be a lot of play.

Setup:

2.5" Suspension Lift
1" Body Lift w/new mounts
New Ididit tilt column
New WH lower shaft
Rebuilt '76 4 turn power steering box
New Saginaw pump and filter.
'70 Pitman Arm
'76 Dana 44 w/disc (rebuilt)
'76 Y steering linkage.
All new bushings
Drop track bar
New steering dampener
Recent alignment

I've bled the reservoir and also tightened up the adjustment screw on the top of the gear box (only about 1/4 turn). This did seem to make things better but then I had someone turn the wheel while I observed the linkage...everything is tight except for the connection mentioned above.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG5613.jpg
    CIMG5613.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
sounds like you need to replace the drag link then. all you do when you adjust the top bolt on the box is jamb the gears against each other more, it doesn't tighten it.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Yea...I'm thinking that too. The reason I tightened up the gear box was because there was definite play in there when I turned the lower shaft by hand.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Worst case you may also have to replace the pitman arm if its been run loose for a long time ity may be wallowed out.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm sure it would work. Just have to try it and see and hope it doesnt cause bumpsteer issues. Forgot about the tapered sleeve idea. or just get it welded up and retapered.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yea...I'm thinking that too. The reason I tightened up the gear box was because there was definite play in there when I turned the lower shaft by hand.

The proper and only reliable way to adjust it is to disconnect draglink and column and use an inch pound torque wrench to measure the mesh load. Turning the stud clockwise actually pushes the sector shaft down and moves the teeth apart (less mesh).

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
The proper and only reliable way to adjust it is to disconnect draglink and column and use an inch pound torque wrench to measure the mesh load. Turning the stud clockwise actually pushes the sector shaft down and moves the teeth apart (less mesh).

Ah...good to know. Thanks. If I were to swap out the entire linkage, which aftermarket setup is the best? Thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Personally I'd stick with a stock type linkage but 3 way adjustable like most venders sell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey airbur, is your OEM pitman arm a '76/'77 arm, or an earlier one?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought so. There's your problem.
See if you can find a '76/'77 pitman arm so it fits the upper rod end better.

Your "Y" setup has (I'm pretty sure anyway) a smaller rod end so the pitman arm from the older "T" style has a larger tapered hole.

Someone will verify that I'm sure, but if so, that sounds like a fairly simple fix.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey airbur,

I have a stock '77 arm, I think. It came off my '77 box. I'll trade you.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I took some measurements on the arm I have. I'm not 100% positive of the year of the arm. The draglink hole is .700" by .600" and the arm width at the hole is .875". Compare that to the arm you have.

Attachments

• Bronco 560.jpg
    Bronco 560.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Bronco 561.jpg
    Bronco 561.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Bronco 562.jpg
    Bronco 562.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I took some measurements on the arm I have. I'm not 100% positive of the year of the arm. The draglink hole is .700" by .600" and the arm width at the hole is .875". Compare that to the arm you have.

Mine came out around .769 x .647 and .889 thick. Is that enough of a difference?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mine came out around .769 x .647 and .889 thick. Is that enough of a difference?

I did some calculations and it looks like the angles are the same (7 degrees) but the size difference in the hole would cause the stud to bottom out about .450" higher in my pitman arm. In other words, if the stud was installed to the same depth in both pitman arms there would still be about .050" of slop between the stud and your pitman socket (compared to fully bottomed in mine).

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I remeasured it now that I have it off the Bronco and I'm showing .76 x .68 and width of .88. You think it's still worth it?