• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

adjusting man steering box tight

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Whats the process to tighten the man steering box up?
Is it
Loosen the set nut on top
tighten the bolt through the set nut down (how much)
then tighten the set nut again?

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
get a manual.you have to center it then use a torque wrench and torque to spec.i think it is in inch pounds.book will show how to do it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And likely as not, if it's old enough, you can't adjust it enough to fix it completely. Yeah, you might get a bit of play out of it, which is a good thing, but there is only a slight range of adjustment in that screw before you're going in the wrong direction. It's a preload setting, not a "play" reducer per-se. If you go too far, the gears will actually bind when in the on-center position.
They just wear out sometimes and you have to replace things.

Hope yours is still in good enough shape for it to do some good though.

Paul

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
The one I have is pretty good, I was thinking of just going with the man steering on this build as the tires will be smaller and the whole Bronco will be lighter than what I have been building in the past.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Do like you said, loosen the set nut and then tighten the adjusting screw down a 1/4 turn then tighten the set nut again. Test it and see if it helped. If it still needs more then repeat the process adding a 1/4 turn at a time until the steering gets too tight then back it off a little. At that point it'll be as good as it's gonna get. I took the wrench and screwdriver with me and went for a ride because my steering box would act differently sitting in the driveway than it did while the truck was moving.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have the option of removing the pitman arm you can easily feel the on-center tight spot. Like Smokeater said, once you feel it getting too tight, stop.

I know what you mean about simplicity. I always liked not having a pump and lines to deal with. as well as the more important aspect of still having full steering power when the engine dies on the trail. As it often does!
Now that I'm going EFI though, and my tires are getting slightly larger again, and my box is starting to feel tight again, I'm going power.
I loved my manual boxes. When I was trying to diagnose a death-wobble, I bought a brand new manual box from ford ($175 new!) and what a gem of easy turning that one was! Rebuilt the old one to keep as a spare, but they served me well for years.
The death-wobble turned out to be a bad tire though.

Paul

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Thanks guys. I like the ease of power steering on the bigger tires etc but for stock to 30 inch tires the man has to be the way to go, lot less to deal with coming off the engine. (one little v belt for the alternator).
I do have a 6 turn power one that needs rebuilt but dont seem to need it on this build.