• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

a "new" hydro boost question

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
all in and plumbed into the exsisting brake lines. I was running 4 wheel manual discs with all 3/16 line. I have not bled them as of yet (one man pony show) SHould i run 1/4 to the back or will the 3/16 suffice? With the truck running i'm having a very slow pedal return and feels like little to know actuation of brakes. With truck off i seem to get the same pedal action prior to conversion with having to pump 2-3 times to get strong pedal. Friend of mine says it's due to the 3/16 line going to the back. (added a prop valve while i was doing the conversion that it did not have before) Thanks for any input or tips as i miss not drving it for a week now! :p

OX1

Bronco Guru
I have all 3/16 line front and back with no problems on the stang HB.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3/16 is fine. You are not after flow, just pressure. Applying the brakes and the fluid only moves about 3" in the lines.

TonyPDX

Contributor
How did you plumb your return line? If you get any restriction or feed back on the HB return line it won't return right and your brakes will drag.... I caught my rears on fire!

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
thanks Ken.....tried bleeding them last time i switched out the stock Bronco master after last year's round up and always had the 2-3 pump issue just learned to live with it. All bled well and had plenty of fluid at each wheel. Just seems to be the exact same problem prior to this, figured i'd ask before we get to deep into fixing something that isn't broken....HOPEFULLY BLEED THEM TONIGHT

Last edited:

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yo T-diddy - get yourself a set of speed bleeders - bleeding is a one man show after that.

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
how did u go about bleeding the PS pump?, slow return I thought might be due to air still, after my swap it took a couple of bleeds to remove air, but process is simple...psc performance has good instructions on the process, do you have single return into pump?, if so is the tee plumbed ps box return to top of tee, HB return to bottom of tee, and remaining return to pump?

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
new dual return saginaw pump. the fluid doesn't appear to be aeroated (sp?) at all.....looks good with no foaming....could that be my issue?

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
Yo T-diddy - get yourself a set of speed bleeders - bleeding is a one man show after that.

X's 2 on the speedy bleeders. I bought 4 when I did my D44 and disc swap. Man those things are awsome. Way better than the old 2 man pump and hold method. I was by myself bleeding mine with a vacume pump, I dont know what was going on, but I couldnt get all the air out. Usually works good,Maybe it was b/c my whole system was dry. Speed bleeders did the trick;D

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
sitting with a crappy feeling pedal is WAY different driving it! What an upgrade.....cannot belive i waited this long. It's just so strange compared to what i had before. It feels like you could stop instantly, never even close to what i had. Thanks for the help guys!

broncokak

Bronco Guru
After my deer tagging this past Wednesday I think I will move the Hydroboost up the list a ways. My curent set up worked very good but if they can be better I'm game! (No pun intended) %)

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Welcome to the world of good braking.
Watch your head, the windshield may be closer than it appears. :cool:

BEEN there, cracked that ;D Thanks for your help and support Ken....kak, you have to, what an upgrade!

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Hopefully Pete can come up with a pair of them for Todd and I. If not I may just by a new one. Not quite sure what I'll do for the pump / return lines yet.