• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Run PS belt off of Water Pump Pulley Alone?

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
As the topic asks, is it possible to run your Power Steering Pump/belt off of the Water Pump pulley alone?
The other belt would be crank / wp, and alt.

I've seen people run PS off of the crank, but wondering if you can just off the WP pulley.

Thanks!

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm sure you could get away with it. do you not have a two-groove crank pulley? the reason i ask is i think it's better to run both off the crank around the water pump. that way if you lose a belt it isn't catastrophic.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
i'm sure you could get away with it. do you not have a two-groove crank pulley? the reason i ask is i think it's better to run both off the crank around the water pump. that way if you lose a belt it isn't catastrophic.

I have a couple 2 groove water pump pulleys and crank pulleys, but no variable is getting me even close to aligning everything.

trying to come up with a short term viable/driveable solution, while I figure it out.

I am thinking my dampener is 'special' which is causing the problem.

bigjhoov

nobody
It's possible, I'm doing it now for the same reason you're having. Can't seem to find the right mixture of pulley's to get things lined up. Well, that and trying to undo some of the PO's "mods".

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
It's possible, I'm doing it now for the same reason you're having. Can't seem to find the right mixture of pulley's to get things lined up. Well, that and trying to undo some of the PO's "mods".

Thanks, you running into any problems with it?
I'm thinking worse case scenario it slips a little and my power sterring becomes semi-power steering?
No damage to the pump or box?

bigjhoov

nobody
no, not really. it's on a trail truck and all seems good for now. I think I did it on another truck I had but it was a six cylinder and I ran it off the crank only I think. worked fine as far as I can remember.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't do that. It puts all the loads onto the alternator belt. A few years back I got rid of the double water pump pulley and just ran the PS straight from the crank. The other belt runs the water pump and alternator. Never could understand the need for running the PS over the water pump.?:? It's been working great.
BTW, whenever you do a change that uses a belt that is a different length than origonal, be sure to write the belt number down somewhere in the car. That way if you throw one off somewhere, you won't need to experiment to get one to fit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well over a inch is not good. The thickest crank spacer that I know of is .970. Worst case I would find the correct crank pulley.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
I wouldn't do that. It puts all the loads onto the alternator belt. A few years back I got rid of the double water pump pulley and just ran the PS straight from the crank. The other belt runs the water pump and alternator. Never could understand the need for running the PS over the water pump.?:? It's been working great.
BTW, whenever you do a change that uses a belt that is a different length than origonal, be sure to write the belt number down somewhere in the car. That way if you throw one off somewhere, you won't need to experiment to get one to fit.

Better yet, I keep 1 extra belt in the truck, and I keep the belt cardboard it comes in at home just in case.

I was thinking of running off the crank, but that doesn't line up as well.