• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Something just locked down

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I just read someone elses lock down problem and went out to the garage and finished putting the seats back in mine and took it for a drive around the neighborhood... Pulled into the drive way and shut it off... took a leaf blower and blew out the garage and climbed back into the Bronco and the engine turned about 2 revolutions and something just locked up... The starter clicks but nothing turns. When I started it go drivein around the block it made a strange noise like something scraping against something for a couple of seconds then quit.

A little background... I few weeks ago I posted on here that I was hearing a strange noise that sounded like my fan was hitting the radiator but there was no evidence of it. I never did figure out what that noise was. But... I have not really driven it since. I did a body lift, replaced floor pans, repainted the inside, removed the side tank, rerouted fuel lines, installed canister purge, and several other things... none related to engine or transmission... O... I did replace the selector shaft seal where it was leaking.

I have a 5.0 so it doesnt have a crank bolt to turn on the front... Not sure how to turn it over by hand... If I remember correctly it seems like I turned it from the inspection plate at the bellhousing when i installed it.

A little more back ground... I had the C4 rebuilt a few years ago and I have never felt like it was "right" shifts funny and stuff. I just have not put many miles on it the last few years... it has just been sitting in the garage.

Any ideas? I will not have time to touch it for a few days but the first plan is to pull the inspection plate and see if I can turn it by hand... second is to pull the starter and inspect....

I wonder if the noise I was hearing could have been the tourque converter going bad or the flex plate loose? He would not have pulled the flex plate though would he?

Open for ideas...

Greg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Never seen a Ford without a bolt holding the balancer on, only chevys.

I think you can probably rule out the trans and converter and everything behind them. If they were at the point of seizing up you would have had all kinds of issues trying to drive it.

Could be a bad starter or bad cables or bad battery, etc.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 you should have a crank bolt. I've never heard of any 302/5.0 that didnt have one.
I'd say yours is missing and I'd get one for it soon.. I'd vote for a starter issue or maybe the flex plate might be able to tell something when you remove the inspection cover and starter.

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I will take another look but all I saw on the front of the crank was a deep pully with 4 or 5 smaller bolts deep inside.

Could the starter make those scraping noises I have been hearing sporatically?

I did pull the inspection plate a few weeks ago but couldnt see anything unusual.

I checked the battery, cables and all that but will take another look.

Thanks,
Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I found the problem...

The front inside of the starter had broken out and a spring and bearing were loose... it looks like the bearing locked down the starter gear. I am probably pretty fortunate that it didnt destroy my flexplate teeth.

I found the reciept where I installed the starter in 1998.... it had a lifetime warranty and they honored it... Cool...

Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
O Rielly's

Back when I bought it the store was not O riellys... it was called the parts place... Still honored the warranty.

Greg

OP
OP
Greg_B

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Never seen a Ford without a bolt holding the balancer on, only chevys.

You are correct... I didnt look deep enough into the front pully...

"Could be a bad starter or bad cables or bad battery, etc.

Correct again... Bad Starter...

Greg