• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque Converter

mo-bronco

I have a 302 on the garage floor and I can't get the torque converter off. It's been sitting for several years and I'm wondering if it's maybe rusted on? Anybody have an idea on how to bust it loose?

Attachments

• 302 On the Floor.jpg
    302 On the Floor.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31

johnsonx

Loc.
Lompoc
Just checking to make sure you removed the four nuts on the back side that connects the torque converter to the fly wheel?

OP
OP
mo-bronco

mo-bronco

Oops! Maybe that's it. I knew the flywheel had 4 nuts, but I forgot what they were connected to. Thanks!

VT_Don

re: "I forgot what they were connected to."

This is a joke, right?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Dont feel bad, even the best mechanics have a oh shit moment when they accidently bump the transfer case in nutrel and try to drive off, all kinds of horrable things rush thru your mind for a sec.:eek:

OP
OP
mo-bronco

mo-bronco

VT_Don, nope, not a joke. I've only swapped engines a couple of times. In my mind, I was thinking about sliding the torque converter onto the tranny and how I've been told to make sure it seats (I was successful both times). So, when I went to pull it off the back of the engine, I was thinking about how it just slid on....I had it backwards in my mind. Years ago I was a power plant mechanic, but I've never been an auto mechanic. I just learn as I go. Usually the hard way.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
VT_Don, nope, not a joke. I've only swapped engines a couple of times. In my mind, I was thinking about sliding the torque converter onto the tranny and how I've been told to make sure it seats (I was successful both times). So, when I went to pull it off the back of the engine, I was thinking about how it just slid on....I had it backwards in my mind. Years ago I was a power plant mechanic, but I've never been an auto mechanic. I just learn as I go. Usually the hard way.

Hydro, steam or gas power plant? Where at?

OP
OP
mo-bronco

mo-bronco

Steam. First in the Air Force then at a local prison. At the prison power plant we burned coal, natural gas and in an emgergency, diesel. They don't burn coal anymore, it's a pretty old place.