• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nissan Steering Conversion -Drop Pitman

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Anyone find a drop pitman arm for the Nissan power steering conversion. I did the conversion and it worked beautifully until I put on my lift and now I've got mad bump-steer. I'm nervous about having my pitman arm spliced and dropped...and would like to find a true drop pitman solution.

If not, I suppose my next option is either a TRO conversion to my tie rod and drag link or go to a Ford PS box...but that Nissan is already in, and is quick-turn ratio.

Thanks for any help you can provide -

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
pitman

Thanks Rusty

Ya know I thought it would be simple...it was a 95 Pathfinder. But as it turns out the lifts for that period of Nissan didn't offer any drop pitman...there's other steering kits that are used to change the geometry without a pitman change. I've seen pictures of some spliced pitmans but they look scary.

I only have a 3.5 inch suspension lift. A TRO conversion should raise it up about an inch and a half wouldn't it? What about going with the Trail Proof drag link and tie rod...it actually runs the drag link over to the passenger side to connect which would lessen the angle of the link to the pitman I would think.

I suppose before I get too creative I need to keep an eye on the price of a Ford Box and drop pitman as a solution too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the meantime, did you change the angle of the trackbar when you did the lift? Until you get a dropped pitman arm too, I'd put the trackbar back into it's original configuration (to better match the draglink) to see if that helps reduce your bumpsteer.
Probably wouldn't get rid of it completely, since your angles are still steeper than optimal, but getting the two bars closer together might help in the short term.

Paul

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
pitman

Thanks for the link Broncnaz - that's the one I used to do the conversion but the superlift pitman didn't fit as the tooth count was way different than the Nissan even if I filed out the index key.

I did put a drop trac bracket on and can't really reverse that unless I remove the welded bracket...so going back is tough.

I'm thinking the Trail Proof system in JBG catalog might do the trick by lengthening the drag link all the way over to the passenger knuckle, the angle becomes much less extreme.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think the toy arms have a stud for the drag link no hole. Could be wrong though.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the link Broncnaz - that's the one I used to do the conversion but the superlift pitman didn't fit as the tooth count was way different than the Nissan even if I filed out the index key.

I did put a drop trac bracket on and can't really reverse that unless I remove the welded bracket...so going back is tough.

I'm thinking the Trail Proof system in JBG catalog might do the trick by lengthening the drag link all the way over to the passenger knuckle, the angle becomes much less extreme.

the stonecrusher steering seems to work pretty well. www.stonecrushersteering.com

i think they're a vendor on here.

sdugs

Loc.
Jax, FL
I did the Toyota conversion back in 94(wow I cant belive Ive had my bronco since 93) anyway the Toy ptman was a drop and I welded the Bronco end to it and have not had any problems. Maybe y0ou could just get a Bronco drop arm and weld the top of the Nissan to it. Just be the opposite of what I did. By the way my Toy box is an 85 and my Bronco is a 68 with 2" bodylift and 3.5" suspension. HTH

Sean
68 and 77 EBs

getfuzzy

I ordered mine from Poly Performance and you can get it drilled or undrilled. I also got the 3/4" less drop.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
pitman

Thanks Gents -

Fuzzy - I was looking at the Poly Performance stuff and may try them. Also eyeballin the stone crusher steering. I'm sure a solution can be created.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
hey dude i did the Nissan steering and swapped in a different sector shaft from a grand Cherokee... insanely easy to do. then you just run the bronco pitman arm... i ran the Wildhorses drop pitman arm goes right on. here is the thread with the discussion. should tell you what you need to know.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193639&highlight=junkyard+steering

The other half to this 2-year old story...
The OP stated he used a '95 steering box, that is a completely different manufacturer then the '01½ up steering boxes that you can rob a grand cherokee sector shaft out of.
So if he wants to try that trick, he would have to swap out the steering box, change the pressure and return lines, and get the grand cherokee sector shaft just to be able to get the drop pitman arm. Not saying it can't be done, but just pointing out some important details that were left out from the newby reviving an old thread.

ronnie90

Loc.
las cruces
So there are no sector shaft swaps you could do for that gen off Nissan box? Just curious. I really like using the bronco pitman arm because that's not a part I trust to have rigged... Ps glad you pointed out that I didn't notice he said it was a 95. There is some dude scamming people on eBay selling them Nissan boxes and telling them they are basically bolt in... Well they are not its a ton of work and if you don't know how to do it you wasted $200 or more. Just trying to be helpful man. That happened to me and I so I just went looking for articles to see if I could help out anyone else... But hey thanks for trying to insult me.