• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electronic Speedo sender

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
So,

I bought a set of Marshall Gauges w/ an electric speedo w/ electric odometer. What do I need to get to make the speedo work? This is that gauge I bought http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5452.cfm I've done some research (havent called the company yet, but its on my to do list) and haven't found much. If you can tell me what I need, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
So, from the diagram all I would need to hook up is the 12v power supply, the ground, and the wire to the speedometer. Since I don't have a powertrain control module I wouldnt need to hook that up. It'll still work w/o that right?

Thanks

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, from the diagram all I would need to hook up is the 12v power supply, the ground, and the wire to the speedometer. Since I don't have a powertrain control module I wouldnt need to hook that up. It'll still work w/o that right?

Thanks

That should be all you need. Your speedo should have instructions for the connection to the VSS.

It pretty simple either way. The Hall effect looks like a switch to ground meaning the device (speedometer) has to source the signal. Kinda like if the speedo was a light bulb with a battery connected. The wire would have to be touched to ground to make it come on. If it sinks the signal, meaning that it's like a light bulb hooked to ground, you have to provide voltage to make it come on. If that is the case you will have to uset a pull up resistor like the diagram. Instructions should cover it.

Last edited:

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
So,

I bought a set of Marshall Gauges w/ an electric speedo w/ electric odometer. What do I need to get to make the speedo work? This is that gauge I bought http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5452.cfm I've done some research (havent called the company yet, but its on my to do list) and haven't found much. If you can tell me what I need, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

Like the gauges, didn't know about them when I bought my Auto Meter Artic Whites. May have been swayed.

But why do they all make the speedo's to 160?!? yay! I will only EVER use 1/2 of the gauge. (I highly doubt I could push the bronco over 100)

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
My favorite part was that the whole set was 270 shipped and it comes with all of the sending units to match the gauges.

Devin: Sounds good, I want to order one but dont know what part number to get. I see that your part number in your diagram is 413021-80 but I dont see that one on their vehicle speed sensor page. If you could tell me which one to get, that would be great.

Thank you

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
John, how deep are the Marshall gauges? Thanks, Mark

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
The Speedo and Tach are (measuring from the back of the trim ring) about and inch and a half and the little gauges are about the same depth.