• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ANOTHER fuel pump question~

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
Looking at some new threads, had another question. I still have not gotten fuel from my tank to the pump, and my engine will only run long enough for the fuel in the carb to run out.

I think I will try the vacum step that was just posted for priming the engine, but I was wondering if there was anything fancy about installing a mech fuel pump.

I got a new pump, took off the old one, the new one went right in (I am assuming the eccentric was in the right position or it would have jammed and not allowed me to put it in?), and i permetexed it nice and neat with a new gasket.

Am i over thinking this, or could the pump not be in right? Or should I try to manually get fuel from the tank and then reinstall the line to the pump?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have never not had a mechanical prime itself. Me thinks you have an air leak in the fuel line, do you still have an aux tank with the old valve?

OP
OP
S

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
I put brand new fuel lines in, and the clamp on the tank nipple and all clamps are super tight..... blowing air in the lines allows a "bubble" sound in the tank, so i think it's OK.... all i have is the 13 gal factory tank setup, one line

70_Steve

Old Guy
I got a new pump, took off the old one, the new one went right in (I am assuming the eccentric was in the right position or it would have jammed and not allowed me to put it in?), and i permetexed it nice and neat with a new gasket.

Am i over thinking this, or could the pump not be in right?
My vote is for the fuel pump not being installed correctly. I've never had a fuel pump go "right in". There's always some resistance against the lever.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
My last one went right in. Engine was at TDC #1. Only one that ever did though. I guess the eccentric was in just the right position.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Why don't you just pull the supply line off of the fuel pump, stick your finger on the hose nipple on the pump, have someone crank the engine and see if it sucks on the tip of your finger. If it does, you have a hole in the line between the pump and tank. Or...........you could get a piece of rubber fuel line, stick it in a can of fuel and see if the truck will run off of that. I doubt that you put the pump in wrong.

OP
OP
S

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
I hooked a 12'' hose up to the pump and put it in an aux gas can, took off line to carb and cranked engine... no fuel coming out the line to the carb.

Im just gg to Pep boys and buy a brand new pump for $40 and put it in....ill have my mechanic put it in to make sure....

Thanks for the advice!! hoepfully, ill have the thing running!

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you don't have eccentric any longer to operate a mechanical maybe. Also if your three way valve is in the wrong position or piped wrong you may encounter the same problem. Never heard of priming a fuel pump...go electric and mount it on the frame in front of all the tanks after the 3way valve to the motor.

OP
OP
S

stevemus1

Loc.
Phila Burbs
Had the wrong pump! Got a new one, felt the eccentric and got it in... fired right up! Thanks for the help (never trust someone on ebay with a FORD 302 fuel pump"....was about 1/4 inch too short... im not a Ford historian, so maybe another engine was made for this pump... who knows

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
i thought i remembered that there were two different shaft lengths, glad you got it fixed