• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Better pully options for 3G Alternator

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
Short of going full blown exploder serpentine, are there bigger pulley options to help keep a 3g alternator from squealing? I have the belt probably too tight now and it squeals at start-up pretty consistently.

Any one have a bigger v-belt solution? Or something that doesn't require replacing the timing chain cover forward? That doesn't cost a stinkload of cash? Asking a lot I know, but just wondering if the collective knowledge here can save me some $ and time.

Thanks,

Bob

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Just changed mine for the same reason. But I already knew the pulley was too narrow for the belt. Make sure it's seating in the pulley like the rest of your pulley's.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With the right mix of parts you could probably run a double V-belt setup. I remember our '67 mustang had that.

The problem is a 3G makes so much power. Well to make that power it takes it from the belt. A single belt can only transmit so much power. The 3G is known for being right at (usually more of slightly over) the limit.

To get a single V-belt to grab the pulley a little better it needs more surface area. Generally this means a larger pulley. Now a larger pulley also has the benifit of more leverage on the alternator shaft. Down side is alternators are very sensitive to speed on the low end. Just a few RPM can be the difference between charging at idle and not charging at idle. The larger pulley that has more surface area and better leverage may not spin fast enough to charge.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I put a pulley that is a little over 3" on mine and it seems to work great. It puts out plenty at idle and did not squeel when I fired it up. Look on Ebay, Summit etc to find one you like.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I had the same problem and put a Top Cog belt on it has the bumps on the outside of the belt and it fixed my problem.
It was suposed to be the best type of v belt they sold. It may be worth a try.
Also make sure your pully clear of the alt body.
I had to put a washer on the back side to get my v belt pully to clear after I pulled the serp pully off.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I vote for a good quality belt as well. I have the 3G and it would squeal at start up every time until I switched to a Gatorback belt and the squeal went away.

OP
OP
ljspop

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
thanks guys. I'll try a better belt first before i try pulley swapping. dual belts sounds interesting, but with PS I think there would be a need to change bracketry.

backpain

Bronco Guru
thanks guys. I'll try a better belt first before i try pulley swapping. dual belts sounds interesting, but with PS I think there would be a need to change bracketry.

Assuming mostly stock configuration: You can find acceptable dual PS and dual and triple crank pulleys if you wanted to get inventive with a multi-V-belt setup. Also, the PS pump pulley can be made to work if your system can handle the slower RPM/lower output. May require trimming a sleeve or bending a bracket to get the offset lined up appropriately, but definitely can be made to work.