• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Putting an auto in a '67. Need help!

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
I just picked up a '67 with a three on the tree and I would like to convert it to an auto for the wife. I have an auto steering column, box, pump, and brackets. I know that '65, '66, and maybe '67 mustangs have a five bolt bellhousing rather than a six bolt. So my question is will a '75 C4 bolt to the 289 in my '67 or do I have to have an older C4 with the five bolt design? Let me know if I am way off on this or what I am looking at. Thank you for any replies.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I just put in a Bronco C4 behind my '66 289. Don't know what year the C4 is but it did come out of a Bronco. I test drove it before he yanked it out.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It was like pre 65 289's that have the 5 bolt bell patterns( some 65's may have had it but most do not) your bronco shouldnt have that engine unless someone swapped one in. If it does Your going to have to find a early C4 with the same bellhousing pattern and just convert it over with the bronco tail shaft and housing.
But Like I said you should have the standard 6 bolt pattern and in that case yes the 75 C-4 will bolt right in.

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
I have a 76 and and I just looked (sitting on garage floor) the bellhousing is 6 bolts to the engine and 5 to the tranny. Hope that helps.