• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaking valve cover question?

Chicago Pete

Loc.
Chicago
This one has me stumped since it should be an easy 10 minute fix.
The previous owner had a cork gasket installed, no sealant, slight leak at the front of the cover.
I bought a new set of (cork) gaskets, loaded them up with Permatex and was very careful when tightening everything. Kind of went in a crisscross pattern not to warp the cover.
Now it leaks way worse.
Last ditch effort was to put a bolt on the front with a tab washer from my SBC, still leaks.

Should I just order a new set of covers assuming this one must be warped?

Thanks, Pete

vc01.jpg

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I alway's make sure the holes are not deformed and use a Felpro gasket with the anti crush inserts around the holes. Seal the gasket to the valve cover only and haven't had one leak yet.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Many times its just the area around the bolt holes is out of shape usually you can straighten them out to help prevent leaks. I'd probably pull them off straight up as best i could then use something like gasgacinch on the valve cover side. its better than useing RTV.

Also sometimes you will get a slight amount of leakage until the cork swells up a little from the oil.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I ran cheapie chrome stamped steel valve covers with a cheapie cork gasket and didn't have a leak. The biggest problem with these valve covers is over-tightening the bolts. I checked and straightened the valve cover at each bolt hole, to eliminating the dimpling at the bolt holes. Also used a straight edge to make sure the valve cover it's self wasn't warped or bent. I sealed the gasket to the valve cover with #2 Permatex, then installed. I used a 1/4" ratchet and used just my little finger on the end of the ratchet. (How's that for a precision torque measurement!!). Had those valve covers off and on a half a dozen times with the same gasket and never had a leak.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
use the good rubber gaskets ford used on the late models. they are reusable too.

Look at the head and the vc good to see what it might be.

May be time for some aluminum ones.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I installed studs in my cylinder heads and used the Ford Motorsport rubber gaskets with crush sleeves. I used some gasket adhesive to adhere the gaskets to the valve covers. I also run those cheapie chrome washer things to help spread out the clamping force from my bolts across a wider area. Seems to have solved my problem.

i also run a set of vintage Weiand aluminum covers. They look like the Cobra or Bronco scripted cast aluminum covers.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Factory Ford are the only steel covers I'll use. Most of the aftermarket ones are too flimsy and distort. Aluminum is more rigid. I use the thicker cork gaskets and glue them to the cover with Gaskasinch. Coat the other side lightly with motor oil to keep it from sticking to the head. Tighten only with a nut driver.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> the best valve cover gaskets by far are the last series of Ford factory production gaskets put on the 5.0's..... they are steel with a bonded rubber O-ring on each side & can be reused many times without a drop of sealant....the only negative is they can only be used with valve covers that don't have a lip by the sealing surface......they are so good that I ground the lip off my $140 bronco script aluminum covers just so I could use them.... avaliable also through for ford racing as part #M-6584-A50....>>> http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1818

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
>>>> the best valve cover gaskets by far are the last series of Ford factory production gaskets put on the 5.0's..... they are steel with a bonded rubber O-ring on each side & can be reused many times without a drop of sealant....the only negative is they can only be used with valve covers that don't have a lip by the sealing surface......they are so good that I ground the lip off my $140 bronco script aluminum covers just so I could use them.... avaliable also through for ford racing as part #M-6584-A50....>>> http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1818

I run these and I didn't grind the lip off my cast aluminum valve covers. My covers even had the gaps for the gasket tabs to fit into.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I run these and I didn't grind the lip off my cast aluminum valve covers. My covers even had the gaps for the gasket tabs to fit into.

>>>> surprising you could use those without grinding the lip since they were designed specifically for use with covers that have no gasket lip , you sure they are the same....my covers also had the locating gaps, but the gaskets I refered to don't have those outer locating tabs on the gaskets & the inner steel core part of the gasket goes all the way to the outer edge of most covers right where the lip & locating gaps are..............

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Look up the torque specs on the bolts for the valve covers. I don't remember off hand, but I wanna say it is around 15 ft/lbs. Over tightening is almost always the culprit. I gave up years ago, went to solid aluminum covers that you can put some more torque on without distorting them. No problems ever since. I also run them on an FE 390, which I've had no problems there either. Every set of factory FE covers I've used have always leaked to. Aluminum seems to be the cure for me.

On another note, my dad used to always take a ball peen hammer and tap the holes out a little, giving them a little "upward" bend to them, so as you tightened the bolts down the holes pulled down level. He also did it to oil pans, and his stuff never leaked. Good luck, nothing sucks as bad as puddles under your rig.

OP
OP
Chicago Pete

Chicago Pete

Loc.
Chicago
Thanks to everyone who posted.

So here's the update.
Pulled the cover and I must have over tightened it because the gasket was split right were the leak was happening. The RTV sealant was zero help at that point.
I had an extra cork gasket, applied Permatex "High Tack" (red) spray to only the valve cover side and let it setup for about 20 minutes.
Used a 1/4 inch ratchet to tighten everything and it seems fine now.

I will take it out for a blast tomorrow but for now it looks good.:)

Pete

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
>>>> surprising you could use those without grinding the lip since they were designed specifically for use with covers that have no gasket lip , you sure they are the same....my covers also had the locating gaps, but the gaskets I refered to don't have those outer locating tabs on the gaskets & the inner steel core part of the gasket goes all the way to the outer edge of most covers right where the lip & locating gaps are..............

Hmm. My weird old covers could have a wide lip or something. i guess i really don't know. They do seem to work perfectly, though.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Pete, have you decided to hang onto your old Bronco for now? I remember not too long ago seeing her for sale locally.