• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Cooler lines - adapt to -6

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Some searching here shows people are using hard line and just using the stock fittigs in the C4, I don't have any fittings so I need to start from strach here.
I know it looks like a 1/8 pipe but with an O-ring seal. Can anyone point me to how I can make this a -6?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
the fitting is an 1/8" npt to -6. There are special fittings made with the o-ring already on it, but I have heard that folks just use the standard 1/8 to 6 fitting and reuse the stock oring with no problems. I have the special fittings, but don't remember where I got them.

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
The fittings on my C4 are 5/16" inverted flare to -6 AN male. The actual thread size of the 5/16" inv. flare fitting is 1/2"-20. If you want to use hard lines 5/16 brake line will work. Hope this helps.
Jim

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 44

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I did a bit more research and there seems to be some inconsistancy in the fitting sizes. Some of the charts list 1/4 ntp, some 1/8 ntp and others 5/16. Its been a couple years since I did mine I really am not sure if mine are 1/8 or 5/16. But TCI lists them as 1/4"
Check out tci's website http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/cooler_fittings.asp

I'll look when I get home and see if I can find the invoice for all the transmission parts and give you part numbers on the fittings.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
THe thread is the same pitch as pipe thread, but it is straight thread. The pipe fittings are not the exact ones to use. I cant remember but I adapted the stock fittings to the -6 with a special fitting. Trying to remember, are the stock lines flared or do they use a ferrule?

OP
OP
welndmn

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, I know the stock fitting that is on the tranny is an inverted flare, but I don't have that, I just have the stright cut 1/8 "what looks like NPT" threads in the case.
I've gone blind from looking at fittings on Summit's website.

I did hear too you can use an 1/8 NPT and it might not leak, but meh, I don't want to risk it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The original fittings are National Standard Free-Fitting Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread (NPSM) with an o-ring and 5/16" inverted flare on the outside. They are close to 1/8" NPT but the hole is not tappered. You could crack the case trying to use an NPT fitting. There are 5/16" inverted flare to -6 adapters available, Earl's I think. I've posted the part number before.

Attachments

• Bronco.jpg
    Bronco.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
welndmn

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The original fittings are National Standard Free-Fitting Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread (NPSM) with an o-ring and 5/16" inverted flare on the outside. They are close to 1/8" NPT but the hole is not tappered. You could crack the case trying to use an NPT fitting. There are 5/16" inverted flare to -6 adapters available, Earl's I think. I've posted the part number before.

Yeah, I don't have the stock fittings, I might have to track some down, and do an adapter like that, but I'm trying to limit the number of fittings in the system.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
1/8" pipe is .405 OD. 1/4" Pipe is .540" OD. They probably are 1/8" straight. The chart on TCI transmission syas it is 1/4", but not sure if that is correct. Maybe call ATI and ask them if they have them for the C4. There is a fitting around to do what you want, I just cant find it now. When I did the auto I adapted to the stock fitting.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Anyone sell the stock fittings?

Wrecking yard. I was just at a yard yesterday and saw several C4s. If I would have seen this thread first I could have snagged the fittings for you.