• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

procomp heads

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
I have seen a number of these in shops. The problem with these is you never know what you are getting. The QC on them seems to be nonexistent. Most of the ones I have seen that run well have had work done to them.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Havent heard about anyone here using them. I know they've had a lot of mixed reviews with the mustang crowd some bad, some good not sure if they resolved any of there issues or not but sometimes you have to consider theres a reason that those aluminum heads are cheaper than even most aftermarket cast iron heads.
Might want to do a search on google about them all the good and bad will come up. Might help in your decision. personnally I'd rather have something with a better record than those heads.

Terkish

I have read up a lot on thoughts heads. From what I gather the ProComp springs and valves are crap. But the heads are supposed to flow really well if you have a machine shop clean them up with a little porting.

Just what I have read on them. I have been considering them for awhile. Still trying to decide if it would be worth trying them out or not.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've heard good and bad from them. i haven't got the money to take a chance, and i'd rather spend $900 than $650 and get a set of SVO aluminum heads, that way i know i have good size valves for low end.

barronj

Bronco Guru
At one time, I'd shared a craigslist post with the board, someone's ad selling these heads. I googled them, saw a bunch of terrible reviews, and deleted the thread.

Pass them up for another set of good used heads (Ebrock, TFS, SVO, etc).

My favorite aftermarket aluminum head, both for popularity/availability & construction, is the Edelbrock head. The valves won't be huge, unless you score Victor Jr's, but 1.9/1.6 will be good enough, and I love that all of their threaded bolt holes have steel heli-coil inserts. You really have to try to cross-thread these heads.

Shop Corral.net for heads, if you can't find anything local to you on Craigslist.

I've run E-brocks w/ great success in the past, but most heads are comparable to a degree.

OP
OP
Ben

Ben

Loc.
concord
well that wasnt exactly what I wanted to hear but it answers my question. looks like I need to save a little more.

Thanks Ben

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
I hvae a buddy running the Pro Comps on his 393W, for the $ he has stuck in them getting them right, he could have bought an entire top end(heads, cam, intake, rockers) from TFS or Edelbrock. Its the old addage of saving $ up front to spend it later on. Oh, and my old school J302 SVO heads still out flow his anyway!!