• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for a good "how to" or tech article for a swap

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Anyone know of a good writeup anywhere detailing the process of doing a complete swap of a EFI motor into an EB?

I am seriously debating on dropping an Explorer (95-01, hopefully OBDI) engine into my bronco.

I have seen some information in here talking about certain aspects but couldn't find an entire writeup. I was hoping one exists. I didn't see it in the tech section, FAQ section and the search function won't search "EFI".

I want to know about the wiring necessary, what parts are needed, the explorer transmission use, etc etc.

Thought I would ask for this instead of posting 80 threads with each individual question. Thanks!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your going to have to search and piece parts together, maybe link them all to this thread.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I'm working on one, its is is garage scratch up mode right now, it will be another few months before I get it together or will be my winter project.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i just did a lot of searching here at other threads people have started and worked up a wanted and needed list. i tried to have everything i needed or as close to everything before i started. the threads you see people have started are very usefull and helped me quite a bit. plus it doesn't hurt to start your own thread so others can see and help you along. plus it helps a lot when people have kind words about your progress helps you get through it. i'll say it gives you a bunch of confidence for sure. good luck in your project it's not so bad.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I think the easiest solution is what I did over 10 years ago...

I just bought an entire wrecked 93 mustang. It had pretty much everything I needed on it... I even used the gas pedal assembly.

I realize that now people like to use the explorer engine but I think that is mainly because they are easier to find and have a better front engine accessory setup. I dont think the engine setup itself is as good as the Mustang from what I understand.

Anyway... it is not as hard as you think it is.... just be patient and think everything through BEFORE you do it. When I did it only a small number of people had made the swap but now tons of people have done it and the knowledge base is much better. I was clueless... and for the most part I still am but I have managed to get by...:D

Greg

Michael A

Loc.
San Diego
There is also a "manual" on sale on ebay. It is an electronic file that you pay $10.00 for and he emails. It tells you how to splice harness and everything. I am not going to do it his way but there is a lot of useful info there...

Michael
also in San Diego

OP
OP
Accordngs

Accordngs

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks guys. I have been reading a lot of them for general information.

I think I am going to try to do the entire Explorer motor and trans with Mustang Comp, wiring and MAF...and a standalone for the trans.

This is what I am thinking after reading a bunch of threads. I just want to have a newer, reliable, solid engine (that is much less noisy, lol)

FYI - I am trying to build the dependable daily driver, not rockcrawler.

I guess I will just have to start posting many questions as I go also. So hopefully you guys don't get sick of me!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks guys. I have been reading a lot of them for general information.

I think I am going to try to do the entire Explorer motor and trans with Mustang Comp, wiring and MAF...and a standalone for the trans.

This is what I am thinking after reading a bunch of threads. I just want to have a newer, reliable, solid engine (that is much less noisy, lol)

FYI - I am trying to build the dependable daily driver, not rockcrawler.

I guess I will just have to start posting many questions as I go also. So hopefully you guys don't get sick of me!

If you use the Mustang stuff on the Exploder motor, you will have a good set up and there are lots of people that can support you. I've done the 4R with the baumanator controller. Lots of support there too. You will love driving that setup.
Tom