• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom intake for a 200 6 cyl.

eveready77

Loc.
Chattanooga
Anyone ever built, or fabricated a custom intake for the 200 6 cyl. log head? I have an idea for one I may try to build. I'm thinking about 3 tubes running into a collector, similar to what a V-6 header would look like. The collector will have a flange turned up to mount a 2 or 4 barrel carb. The head will have to be machined similar to the old triple 1 barrel set up, the tubes will run to these flanges. My thinking is this would have to help it breath and help with fuel distabution.
Anybody ever tried anything like this to improve the old log head? Any ideas or suggestions?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
It's been done. Go on fordsix.com and ask about it. If you are seeking info on these engines, it's about the only place to go, and the parent site classicinlines.com.

Broncodude646

Loc.
West Yellowstone. Mt
I used clifford research back in the mid 80's...there motto is 6=8. we took a 170 cid head....flat combustion area which helped increase compression. I ended up with a tri power set up...3 one barrels....was an awesome machine....they also had a great set of headers for the 200 six....it sounded like a wounded masarati.....this was in a 68 mustang i used to own....Clifford Research is now clifford performance i believe...http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a plan be careful on the tube size to big and you'll loose more than you gain. If you can gain about 25hp like the 2V conversions can then I'd say thats a good jump.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Go with the smallest motorcraft 2v you can get. probably around 350 cfm. If you go to big your throttle response will suffer. I was looking around one of the 6 cyl sites and really it seems that just the right choice of head and installing some slightly larger valves has more benefit that trying to improve the intake. Seems those log intakes flow decently they just need a good 2V conversion done.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
From what I have read, larger valves, a bit more agressive cam, ported intake and ported and polished exhaust and a direct mount 2v will add a lot of flow. Throw on a header and mill the head a little to up compression and you just increased HP by 20% or more. I did the 2v swap and bigger valves and three angle valve job but no porting or polishing or header and it really woke up my 200cid. After I rebuild the block I have sitting in the barn to 40 over and rework the head a little more I shold be in the 150 to 160 hp area.

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
From what I have read, larger valves, a bit more agressive cam, ported intake and ported and polished exhaust and a direct mount 2v will add a lot of flow. Throw on a header and mill the head a little to up compression and you just increased HP by 20% or more. I did the 2v swap and bigger valves and three angle valve job but no porting or polishing or header and it really woke up my 200cid. After I rebuild the block I have sitting in the barn to 40 over and rework the head a little more I shold be in the 150 to 160 hp area.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

gambling209

those heads are bad about cracking. make sure you mag the big double hole in the center before putting money in it.