• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

picked tbird EFI....

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I cant deside what fuel injection i want to get...

help me deside guy's, i have had it with carbs!

im pretty much all but broke,so 90% of it need's to come from parts yard's.

it's between pic A and B.

A.

B.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
B. much more upgradeable down the road.
A. should be practically free though.
Think you hate carbs wait until EFI goes haywire on you. I dont care what anyone says EFI is not cheap need a computer $100 need a fuel pump $100+ The list goes on.
Not saying EFI is not good but it does cost.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
B is a speed density motor, no MAF...

Go B, but with mass air, 88 - 93 Mustang (87 California mustang was Mass Air too)

willtel

Go all out with an Inglese!

efisystem.JPG

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I was leaning more to B, cus a friend of mine has one out of a 90's mustang and it has acrap load of power...when he put the programer on he would start snaping dana60 cromo's on 39's!

but with B ill need to cut up my hood,get a VSS (do they make one for a np205?,change my tank,or make it work?...

I know where there is a late 80's or early 90's mustang at a junk yard that had everything there....he wont let just anyone in his yard....he's a jeeper,so I had to act like a jeeper that had ford parts in it. lol normally i would not do such a sin....but he has nothing but the good stuff there...no imports!

I will also need to use the BC bronco's adapter so the 5.0 upper will fit on the 5.8 manifold.

and will i half to swap out my distributor?

where as A im sure it would save me a little but of money and i could keep the same manifold (yes?)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
B does not require cutting the hood. Many have done it with a stock hood. Tight, yes. But cut hood isn't required. BC says the car on truck intake with adaptor makes the 351 shorter then a standard 5.0 and somewhere they posted a picture. All else fails a touch of body lift.

VSS isn't always required. If you have stalling issues when stopping at the bottom of a hill after engine braking, the VSS should fix that. Standard Ford part, should go into a NP205 just fine.

No need to change the tank. Why would you think the tank needs changing? Jst add a return line fitting to the filler neck.

Yes, you will need to swap the distributor. The EFI distributor has a completely different signal (signature square wave) and no mechanical advance.

Plan A you have 3 basic options. Either Ford based EFI. Absolutly no support or tuning available. Bolt it on, hope it runs right or you are screwed. GM based with aftermarket chips. I have seen these run but every time they touch the dyno the fuel curve is so far off that the carb would be a better choice. Last is a DIY tune aftermarket EFI. There goes your budget.

Plan B with MAF (due to the large change in displacment) will be a good move.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
well, i have a 2'' body lift and a 1'' air cleaner riser and the wing nut is close to the hood..(2'' air filter), it's not a huge deal if i need to cut it up cus i would just make it look like this hood,

a return line was why i thought i needed a fuel cell or what not, i already have a return line going into my filler neck,but thought with the EFI it would have more PSI and could plow off the hose's,so that's good news.
get a bunch of hard line and a EFI pump/filter. will i need a ACCUMULATOR TANK?

now, when i go pull out plan B's wiring harness, what should i pull it and the computer out of?
cus ill need the 5.8 dissy so will i need the computer out of that same truck?
there all 60 pin computers so about anyone should work...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With wheeling like that, I would recomend an accumulator tank. if the high pressure fuel pump grabs air, engine will stall. Ford had one built into the fuel lines on the early EFI stuff, later they figured how to do it all intank. The accumulator is a mini fuel tank. A low pressure pump moves fuel from the main tank to the accumulator. then an open line returns that fuel back to the main tank. If the low pressure pump grabs an air bubble, the accumulator sorts that out and sends the bubble back to the main tank. The bubble can be a huge gulp of air as well, same thing. bubbles rise, thus the return is always off the top of the accumulator. And the bottom of the accumulator feeds gas to the high pressure pump to the injectors. The accumulator is a mini gas tank that is always full so the high pressure pump won't catch air like a main tank can.

Now a street driven rig that always has a good amount of gas in the tank can get by without an accumulator. Carburators cheat as they use the fuel bowl as there accumulator.

The return line is low (almost no) pressure.

3 things really should match on EFI. Injector size, MAF and computer. The standard A9 series of computers has proven to work very well.

I do not recomend a truck computer.

Got some great reading material for you. Most everything you will need to know about swapping ford fuel injection can be found at www.fordfuelinjection.com
That will answer so many questions and clear up a lot of things.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Mitch, don't rule out the 91-93 Thunderbird/ Cougar EFI. They are mass air and are usually easier to find and less expensive.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RE : BroncoBowsher's post

X2 , His previous posts and the FFI link were essentially my guide when I started researching EFI's.
Spend a lot of time at the FFI site , there is a crap ton of info there , some of it is a bit tricky to find sometimes , but it is a gold mine.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
went with B i guess. lol

went to the junk yard today, got a few thing's

5.8 dissy
98 explorer computer
vss
T cabel

was going to pull the harness out of a late 80's bronco..but forgot my cutters.

the only 5.0 upper intake's i found was the throttle body shoots off the the left,and not the right....will it hit my brake booster?

next trip ill grab more parts and the intake's

73bronco

I am not completely sure but you may have a problem with that 98 exploder computer. It is OBD2 and probably has an anti-theft feature(PATS).

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Slow down and get a list together of exactly what you need before start buying things you can't use.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Yes, you will have a problem with the computer, it has more pins then a EECIV computer for one, here is a good website about the basics.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/
Look at the computer codes and it will tell you what to look for. Also you have to match the harness to the system you are going to run, if you decide to run speed denesity the junkyards are full of them but they cannot respond to engine mods like mass air flow. MAF is also avalable but not as plentiful as speed denesity.