• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulleys dont line up

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
so i have been installing my PS kit from BCB and things are going fairly smoothly so far. my water pump pulley was a single v-groove, but i got a dual v-groove from a member here. got all of that on and back together and here is my next issue...the crank case pulley has three v-grooves and first one lines up with the altn. and the first groove on the water pump pulley. (first grooves are closest to the engine block. the second groove of the crank pulley is space further away than that of the water pump pulley, so i can see that the belt for those, (it too would go to the PS pump) wont line up right. so do i leave it, or replace the crank case pulley or what do you think.
thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
One of the major issues with ford pulleys is there are many different ones and a lot of them need to be matched as a set to line up correctly. Sounds like you have the wrong crank pulley for your setup. I think you need a standard 2 groove crank pulley as most 3 groove ones I've seen do exactly what your having problems with.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had the same problem. I ended up going to a single water pump pulley and driving the alternator and water pump off that belt. I used the next groove on the crank pulley to drive the power steering only. I could never understand why Ford drove two belts over the water pump.?:? By the way, is your three groove crank pulley cast iron or stamped steel?

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
By the way, is your three groove crank pulley cast iron or stamped steel?

how can i tell, and i will let you know.
about running the PS off of one pulley, i read some reviews that said it is better to run them off two. if anyone has an extra crankshaft pulley they want to sell....let me know. i guess i will also post a thread in the 'Wanted' section.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A cast iron pulley will have openings on three places so you can tighten the bolts from the sides of the pulley. A stamped steel pulley you can only tighten from the front. Did the three groove crank pulley come in the PS kit?
Broncos without PS came with only one belt that drove both the water pump and alternator. Driving the PS with two belts isn't necessary. I changed mine to drive the PS straight off the crank when I installed A/C. I've had no problems at all in fact the PS having it's own belt is pretty nice.

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
it a cast iron pulley...slots on the sides. the crank pulley was on the truck when i got it. its a 69. it had manual steering. i bought the ps kit from BCB and the only pulley it came with was the ps pump pulley. so i dont know why the crank pulley would have 3 v-grooves. or what they would be used for. there is a small pulley above the altn. that i have been told would be for AC. i dont plan on putting AC....at least for now. so if i can run the ps off of the crankcase pulley only, then when i set the PS pump pulley I will just line up the two of them. then how do you know what size belt to or the measurement for the belt? Maybe run a piece of string around them and measure it?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It would have been for PS and AC also maybe a smog pump. More than likely someone has swapped it in possibly the whole engine.

Should be able to run the PS off just the crank with no issues. I think Ford just used a double pulley setup due to clearance issues with the SB engines. There's not a lot of space betweent the crank and WP pulley's Plus it puts a little more even tension on the water pump might help the bearings last a little longer.
Yeah a thick rope that just fits the pulley would be your best bet it will help get the belt size at least in the general area you might need to hhit the store to get a longer or short belt after the first initial measurement.

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
Should be able to run the PS off just the crank with no issues.

Okay, so i am going to run the PS pump off just the crank case pulley and see how that goes. is there a rule of thumb about how far on the shaft the PS pulley should be set? I have it lined up good with the pulley but the ps pulley sure seems to be sitting out on the shaft.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The BC kit is made to use on the stock 2 groove crank pulley. Your cast aftermakret one isn't spaced the same. I use one of those cast iron three groove pulleys that came with my Vintage Air unit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Okay, so i am going to run the PS pump off just the crank case pulley and see how that goes. is there a rule of thumb about how far on the shaft the PS pulley should be set? I have it lined up good with the pulley but the ps pulley sure seems to be sitting out on the shaft.

Not real sure usually the pulley is pressed on the shaft and you have no choice to what depth it is.. If you dont press it all the way on it could come off down the road.

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
okay,
this is what i think i might try.
currently the first pulley groove (closest to the block) is comprised of altern., water pump, and crank.
and the second groove is the crank and PS pump.
the problem is the pulley is sitting too far out on the pump shaft and could come off.
so what if i spaced the alterna. out 3/4" and used the second groove on the water pump and crank. then set the pulley deeper onto the ps pump shaft then used the first pulley groove for the ps pulley and water pump pulley. or should i run the ps pulley off the crank case pulley.
too many pulley and combinations.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Instead of trying to rig up what you've got, I'd do it right and find a correct set of matching pulleys that will automatically line everything up and be done with it.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Can you send a picture of the P/S pulley? The pulley is a GM pulley and there are 3 diff. off sets that I know of. The shaft should be flush with the hub on all of them. We use the pulley that the hub lines up with the outside ring.

OP
OP
Mowillie

Mowillie

Loc.
Boerne, Tx
Can you send a picture of the P/S pulley? The pulley is a GM pulley and there are 3 diff. off sets that I know of. The shaft should be flush with the hub on all of them. We use the pulley that the hub lines up with the outside ring.

chuck if you guys are going to be in the shop tomorrow i might just drop on by. i am ready to get this bronco back on the road.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
how can i tell, and i will let you know.
about running the PS off of one pulley, i read some reviews that said it is better to run them off two. if anyone has an extra crankshaft pulley they want to sell....let me know. i guess i will also post a thread in the 'Wanted' section.

You are on the right track now. That iron pulley would have been a problem for you anyway. The belts would have squeeked a lot because the two grooves closest to the block that run the water pump are different size grooves. That makes for a slightly different diameter between them and a different belt speed.

Attachments

• 100_2197.JPG
    100_2197.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 33