• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying an EFI car question...

windsor

Loc.
Jackson, MS
IF you guys could buy any (ford) efi car-late 80's to mid 90's for the efi parts and roller motor which one would it be......?????????;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, I read this as NO MIX AND MATCH. Single donor only.

Being that, '88 to '93 mustang with mass air.
The (expensive, hard to find and usually beat to death) dream to that would be a '93 cobra.

hdmc

Loc.
goodyear AZ
t-bird or couger is what i have the mustang stuff is getting hard to find and exspensive

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Another vote for the T-bird/ Cougar. Easier to find, cheaper, less components (no BP sensor) Usually adult owned and not as hammered on as a Mustang.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really , probably any thing they made with the roller motor is a good start.

I know the model years for 351 rollers , what about 5.0 rollers ? Which years were they rollers ?
I wouldn't concern myself with SD or MAS personally , I'd be more concerned about the motor condition and whether it was a roller motor or not.

When does the single piece rear main come in to play also ?

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't rule out 94-95 Mustangs. Might find a better deal on one as everyone is still advising against them. Kinda like when everyone trashed the ZFs and hydraulic clutches.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1 piece rear mains came in around '83
Roller started in '85 but took several years to phase in. But all injected HO motors are roller. The one cross over is '85 where you could get a roller with a carb. By '86 when EFI hit then you got roller. Non-HO motors were still flat tappet for a few more years, the exact change over varies a little depending on model so keep that in mind if you see a mid to late 80's non-HO such as a crown vic or town car.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't rule out 94-95 Mustangs. Might find a better deal on one as everyone is still advising against them. Kinda like when everyone trashed the ZFs and hydraulic clutches.

Got one of those stashed away in the corner of the garage waiting for the right project.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pretty much all 86 up 5.0 car engines will be roller motors the trucks will also have roller blocks but not roller cams. Basically if it has EFI its a roller motor.

As for one piece rear seals I believe they came out in about 81/82 basically when they became known as the 5.0 and the engine balance changed as well.

Not to saying you cant score a good deal on a engine but any used engine is a chance and with most of these motors and injection systems being 15+ years old you get what you get. Most will have 150,000 + miles on them. So I'd consider most of them to be in need of a rebuild unless you have a verified low mileage engine. While EFI engine do tend to be in pretty good condition even at high mileages I would still freshen it up especailly the bottom end. Along with reworking the heads.

OP
OP
W

windsor

Loc.
Jackson, MS
I agree, the mustang's are becoming hard to find/beat up. I did not even think about the cougar!!! Well as a donor anyway!!!!

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
What are you looking for Speed Denisty or Mass Air? I can't even remember what cars were what myself but thought it should be noted.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
And another vote for the T-bird/Cougar-90ish to 93 with MASS air. They have a nice low profile intake and a tight serp belt system. You can even remove the AIR and A/C pump and still retain the serp system with a Mercedes wagon belt. Love mine:)

Last edited: