• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Systems and Emission Controls

msommer001

I am in the process of tearing down my 77. I have the back half of the body off and I am going to start unbolting all the brake and fuel lines, in addition to all wiring ect. I have come across some vapor emission control componets located on the outside of the passenger side frame rail, they appear to have tied into the fuel system. The PO disabled them. The lines and parts are still there just not connected.

This assembly connects to a canister located under the hood or near the front and both fuel tanks.

I need some education, can someone explain the function of this assembly? Should I keep and make these parts functional?

As always thanks in advance for the help.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
The charcoal canister under the hood captures any gas fumes while
the vehicle is parked. When you startup the engine the fumes get
sucked through the air cleaner housing into the engine. If you've
noticed a gas smell around your Bronco while it's parked, especially
if you store it in an enclosed garage, then this is likely the culprit.
The system has no negative effects that I know of and can eliminate
a gas smell condition so I would certainly recommend putting in the
little bit of extra effort to restore its operation.

good luck! danny

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am in the process of tearing down my 77. I have the back half of the body off and I am going to start unbolting all the brake and fuel lines, in addition to all wiring ect. I have come across some vapor emission control componets located on the outside of the passenger side frame rail, they appear to have tied into the fuel system. The PO disabled them. The lines and parts are still there just not connected.

This assembly connects to a canister located under the hood or near the front and both fuel tanks.

I need some education, can someone explain the function of this assembly? Should I keep and make these parts functional?

As always thanks in advance for the help.

I've seen that little box you're talking about on the frame in the vapor line on '77s. I suspect it may be some a valve to prevent fuel flow in case of a rollover.

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

I need to locate a replacement canister. I am not running the stock carb or air cleaner. I assume when the PO change this out he removed it.

Thanks again for the information. This is a great forum.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can find tons of the original '77 style canisters in wrecking yards. Ford used them at least thru the '90s.