• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shimmy when topless.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I find this kind of interesting, last summer after I took the hard top off I started noticing a shimmy at 55-60 mph, nothing horrible but definitely noticeable. When I reinstalled the top last fall I noticed the shimmy was gone, with the top on there is no problem. So I get around to taking the top back off this weekend, and sure enough it's back, at right about 55-60 mph. Anybody experienced anything like this?

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
Toss a few sand bags in while the top is off. It might just be a weight issue, but it sshouldn't happen non the less.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I know this is a funny concept to consider with a Bronco but there is a significant amount of aerodynamic downforce loss with the removal of the hardtop. That's a lot of flat surface area on the roof and side that's missing resulting in a loss of downforce. Downforce = weight, but not only in the actual weight on the top but the weight of the air pushing down on it.

I think I might be watching too much Nascar.........;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Could be a pinion angle issue when the top if off especailly if you have a lift. Or maybe the u joints are just worn.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Less weight, sits higher, caster goes away. Probably just on the borderline and the weight of the hardtop is all it takes to cross it.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Man. I hoping for a video of some big breasts shimming in a bronco. Guess I should have figured. Its not the perv thread.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
thats the ticket

Less weight, sits higher, caster goes away. Probably just on the borderline and the weight of the hardtop is all it takes to cross it.

Your caster is changing because the rear end isn't dragging with the top off.

I didn't notice it while driving but it definately flat tows a little differently.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I had the same thing happen last week. It had a noticeable shake to it with the top off. I thought I may have slung a weight and got a tire out of balance, but now... I plan to throw the top back on in the next day or two and will let you know if it stopped.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
This is interesting, I never thought that losing that extra couple hundred pounds could actually affect castor, but then I'm not carrying my spare right now either.
I guess mabey I'll wait and see if it gets any worse.