• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pics of windshield support?

matt w

Bronco Guru
I wanted to see your pics of how you support your windshield when the doors are off.

Can you post them for me?

......Thanks for you help and contribution!;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Matt - you've got a full cage right? Get some turnbuckles from your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). They're about $5 apiece or so. Just mount them to your roll bar and existing hardtop bolt on the windshield frame.

Attachments

• new cage6.JPG
    new cage6.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Matt - you've got a full cage right? Get some turnbuckles from your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). They're about $5 apiece or so. Just mount them to your roll bar and existing hardtop bolt on the windshield frame.

Ok I see how that works..THANK YOU~;D..

I was already at Depot and they all looked too long.

Thanks for that pic! How did you attach it to your cage?

AND is you cage rattle canned or powder coated? ;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Ok I see how that works..THANK YOU~;D..

I was already at Depot and they all looked too long.

Thanks for that pic! How did you attach it to your cage?

AND is you cage rattle canned or powder coated? ;D

I drilled and tapped the cage and just bolted it in.

My cage is painted with Rustoleum Hammered Silver - I brushed it on with a foam brush and it came out great and is very easy to touch up.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I drilled and tapped the cage and just bolted it in.

My cage is painted with Rustoleum Hammered Silver - I brushed it on with a foam brush and it came out great and is very easy to touch up.

...Ya I have that exact color in my garage & painted my tube doors with that last year, I then hit them with a couple coats of clear.

This year I had the doors powder coated with my rocker guards. I was going to powder coat the cage but ...the doors came out pretty good....I might just rattle can the cage & save the money I don't have!;)

...as far as the drill and tap thing...I have both so I might just have to brak out the 10-32? tap!;D

66fora69er

Contributor
I just used a piece of flat stock. painted them black, cant even tell they are there

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I just used a piece of flat stock. painted them black, cant even tell they are there

...How & where did you mount them?
.....Do you have any pics?
........I am looking at all options.
Thanks

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
pic of windshield support

For some reason I cant figure out how to upload a pic, but if you check out the member gallery you will see what I fabricated and then had powdercoated. It really shores up the windshield and imo looks like its supposed to be there.

66fora69er

Contributor
sorry. heres a couple of photos. used original windshield hard top holes and big self tapping sheetmetal screws into the bar. be sure you brace the doors to the right gap before securing the brace.

Attachments

• widshield supports.jpg
    widshield supports.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 114
  • widshield supports (1).jpg
    widshield supports (1).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84

grant_71

Bronco Guru

I also did this, i broke 2-3 sets of turnbuckles then went this route, I seemed to have a lot of side to side movement at well (never could figure if it was the cage or body) so i actually have two pieces on each side. One going straight from the shield to the cage, the other with an angle in it. I will try and remember to snap some pics.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I like the adjustability with the turnbuckles - this way I can dial in the gap just so and I've re-adjusted a few times ever after I thought I got it right - just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I like the adjustability with the turnbuckles - this way I can dial in the gap just so and I've re-adjusted a few times ever after I thought I got it right - just my 2 cents.

...Ya that makes sense.

....This is the 1st time I have had the top off.

......Are you saying that the windshield in the stock "resting" position without the doors on moves and needs to be adjusted?

I did not consider that as I thought the windshield pretty much stayed in its stock layed back position & that the supports were needed to keep it from just "bouncing around"!??

Heus33

Bronco Guru
...Ya that makes sense.

......Are you saying that the windshield in the stock "resting" position without the doors on moves and needs to be adjusted?

I did not consider that as I thought the windshield pretty much stayed in its stock layed back position & that the supports were needed to keep it from just "bouncing around"!??

It does, it will just "wobble" a bit when you hit bumps in the road. And these things weren't extremely stable without the top providing support by design. Being able to dial it in to the "correct" position for you is what the turnbuckles allow.

sigepkat

Would using a self tapping screw (big one) be an acceptable way to connect this to the cage?

Chris

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Would using a self tapping screw (big one) be an acceptable way to connect this to the cage?

Chris

I have worked with metal for years and have used self tapping screws also for years. After seeing posts on the whole windshield deal I think I will take this route. It will sorta depend on what i will use for a bikini top! I saw a post on an aluminum top idea...I might try this.;D

1970mule

Bronco Guru
...Ya that makes sense.

your right without the top it will stay but will bounce a little. i will post some pics of what i made tomorrow, i made mine out of some 1/4 hiem joints and some bolts i welded together. thats cause i could not find any all thread at lows that was the same thread. anyway you could do some all thread and 2 female heim joints and that would be good.

to mount them as said you could drill and tap right into the roll cage but it may be thin and may strip out later, i drilled a hole and dropped a bolt in there and welded it in there so it has more to bite on. anyway ill shoot you some pics later.