• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any hope of cooling a 351w with Stock radiator?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this a pipe dream, or will this actually work? Reman 351w, no power adders, rebuilt C-4 with a mild shift kit. Planning on using the explorer clutch fan, stock shroud with extension and stock radiator. That or a taurus fan.

Will it work?

backpain

Bronco Guru
Is this a pipe dream, or will this actually work? Reman 351w, no power adders, rebuilt C-4 with a mild shift kit. Planning on using the explorer clutch fan, stock shroud with extension and stock radiator. That or a taurus fan.

Will it work?

Total cr@$ shoot. All depends on that motor. If it's a good, clean radiator, there is no reason not to try before you worry about what else will fit and what you may have to move around to get a thicker, taller, etc one in place.

Despite that the cards may be stacked against you, I'd try it. Upgrading later is not a big deal unless you are doing an expensive paint job under the hood or something else that would cause you to go backwards when you refit a larger one.

Aux oil cooler could help also.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2
If the radiator is in good condition there's no reason it wont handle cooling a Stock 351W I know plenty of guys running 351W's and stock radiators with no issues.

70_Steve

Old Guy
X2
If the radiator is in good condition there's no reason it wont handle cooling a Stock 351W I know plenty of guys running 351W's and stock radiators with no issues.
Years ago, when I still had the 302, I had the stock radiator recored with a 4-tube core, only because some PO had the fan kiss the radiator, and at the time, the 4-tube core was the "hot ticket" for cooling. Then installed the 351. Running stock water pump, stock fan, stock pullies, stock shroud, and never had an issue.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I cool my mild 351 with the stock rad and the stock fan. Never seems to warm up. But I have no inner fenders which really helps air movement.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I run the stock 3 core rad. I did the 351 intake manifold mod described on this site. I have a C4 with cooling lines run through radiator. I have an additional trans cooler under the pass floorboard. I added a 10" electric cooling fan infront of the radiator. It helps on slow crawl trails.

I only run hot when climbing slow trails. I was recently told to run in 4 low when doing this and since she stays in the 210 ballpark.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
completely possible. If everything is right, it should stay cool. I ran a very warmed up 351 and went from all the trick parts back to nearly stock and every step helped. Copper rad (4-core but I hear 3 is often better), shroud and mechanical fan. Even automatic and used the in rad cooler (along with another in front). Some summer days it would run a little warmer (this is Phoenix and only 111° today) but NEVER boiled.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the radiator is in really good shape, you have the shroud installed, and have a good fan you should be fine. The Taurus fans work very well also and you could probably run one with a serp setup but they won't fit with standard V-belt setup.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i got the exploer serp stuff, just need to make it over to your place to sand blast em...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And then add an A/C condensor in front, whats that chances of it staying cool in Phoenix? I'm ready to put the parts into a 351 block in my garage but I'd rather change directions now and go back to 302 than drop the time and dime on putting the 351 in only to find it runs to hot.

Oh, and I already have a tired .060 over 351 in it which does run warm in wintertime, hence, a new motor on the way.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i got the exploer serp stuff, just need to make it over to your place to sand blast em...

I forgot you already had that stuff. In that case I would run a Taurus fan. That's what I want to do but just can't make myself do the serp conversion yet.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I've got a geeked up 351W, bored .060 over, stroked, aggressive cam, headers, etc and my stock radiator cools it just fine. I don't even have a fan shroud. I do have an Explorer serp set up on it though.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Just make sure the radiator is clean inside and out. Carefully take a pressure washer and air compressor to the fins and wash/blow out all the compacted dirt and bugs so that you can see through the radiator if you hold it above your head towards a light or the sun. Use a Taurus fan with a 3G alternator, a 180* t-stat and you'll be doing good to break 190* with it. If the radiator can't flow water inside it and air through it, it doesn't matter how many cores you have, or what kind of shroud set up, etc, etc, it isn't gonna keep it cool.