• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sick of the MSD box

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Anyone try one of these? Just ordered one and going to throw it in next week when it arrives. Sick of the MSD cutting in and out. Interested in anyones thoughts but I figured for the price it was worth a try.

OUMX117

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I would also like to hear anyone's experience with these. I want to upgrade my ignition system from the current points system to something more modern. Plus not having a coil or igniton box would be really nice.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
You may check your wire connections and plug wires. I had one on a drag car and it worked like a champ, never gave me any trouble. What size plug wires?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Anyone try one of these? Just ordered one and going to throw it in next week when it arrives. Sick of the MSD cutting in and out. Interested in anyones thoughts but I figured for the price it was worth a try.

I'm curious about the MSD "cutting in and out". What exactly does it do and is it common with the MSD? I have a rig with an MSD that will run bad for a few seconds until I shut it of and start it up again. I don't know what the problem is.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
got one in the tow rig with 1 mile on it since the new engine was put in. my engine builder raves about these dizzys. I went that route to get rid of a lot of wiring and the duraspark dizzy and module were toast. We'll see how well it works once I get the interior back in the tow rig so I can really drive it.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm curious about the MSD "cutting in and out". What exactly does it do and is it common with the MSD? I have a rig with an MSD that will run bad for a few seconds until I shut it of and start it up again. I don't know what the problem is.

Make sure the leads that run from the box to the distributer are isolated away from everything else electrical. I have had all sorts of hell with the MSD but after rerouting that connection and putting it in it's own insulation all my problems went away. I even went back to 2 boxes I had deemed bad and they worked with no problems. Personally I will never buy MSD again but will use what I have now that it's working ok. On a trip to superlift park when going to unload off the trailer it wouldn't start, determined it wasn't firing, went through the troubleshooting methods that MSD suggest, found nothing wrong, plugged everything up, fired right up and ran all day. That's what sucks, it breaks and then fixes itself without having any idea what was wrong. Have had this same type crap happen numerous times. The MSD tech told me that the box is getting confused because it's picking up signals that it shouldn't, the reason for isolating it. I look at other rigs and the same lead is bundled with other wires and it runs fine....who knows, I just know I have had my fill of MSD.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run these in both of my Mustangs (351Ws) and love em but I have heard that they hit the hood on an EB without a body lift so I don't have one in it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
MSD's have all kinds of issues there anolog boxes and tend to have issues most racers use dual boxes just because they tend to fail. I've seen enough fail that i would never put one on my daily driver. Also in mst cases you dont need fancy iginition boxes for your engine. If your running very high compression or some type of forced induction they they are a benefit otherwise a stock electronic igintion is fine.
As for those HEI dizzys well some people have had good luck with them others not so good. IMO they are cheaply made and half assed cobbled together havent heard of electronics failures but they tend to fail mechanically. Kinda your choice there. There cheap and theres a reason for it.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well I will have one early next week. If it gets the Bronco running again I will be happy. I did read somewhere that you have to notch the hood so we will see about that. As for the MSD box, the truck would not start in the rain or run a few minutes and just die. A little wire dry and sometimes it would start and some time no way. Then one day it just died so I put a timing light on it and nothing. If it looks cheesy but works, I will go with one from Bronco Graveyard or other.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i was planning on using one but when i tried to put it on my engine it hit the performer rpm air gap intake runner so i had to go with a smaller diameter dizzy.

ahess

I bought a proform hei for my 302 was in only four weeks and the pick-up coil went out on the Tom's bronco parts cruise to Crater lake. Went back to stock dizzy with Pertronix ignitor and flamethrower coil.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I got one of these a few years ago and found that the shaft was warped right out of the box. The supplier immediately replaced it and it worked great for about three years until one night with the battery charger on I closed the hood (it was late and I was tired) and shorted it out somehow. Replaced it with another one and still running like a champ!

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Make sure the leads that run from the box to the distributer are isolated away from everything else electrical. I have had all sorts of hell with the MSD but after rerouting that connection and putting it in it's own insulation all my problems went away. I even went back to 2 boxes I had deemed bad and they worked with no problems. Personally I will never buy MSD again but will use what I have now that it's working ok. On a trip to superlift park when going to unload off the trailer it wouldn't start, determined it wasn't firing, went through the troubleshooting methods that MSD suggest, found nothing wrong, plugged everything up, fired right up and ran all day. That's what sucks, it breaks and then fixes itself without having any idea what was wrong. Have had this same type crap happen numerous times. The MSD tech told me that the box is getting confused because it's picking up signals that it shouldn't, the reason for isolating it. I look at other rigs and the same lead is bundled with other wires and it runs fine....who knows, I just know I have had my fill of MSD.

That would explain why I can't use the CB without all kinds of random ignition problems.%)

ja.stoner63

Loc.
Chandler, Arizona
This is definately the way to go! And I will one day when I can afford it. But for now, 45 bucks to at least get it out of the driveway and on the road fits me best for the time being.

I was thinking the samething...45 bucks and the reviews are great from folks that bought them. Even if the cheap one only last a few Years...that way you could save up for a heavy duty one later.