• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body off resto.....new pics added

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
Well, it begins........I have a 1968 bronco that ive already installed power disc brakes and power steering on. In about 30 minutes (after i have my morning coffee and some cinn rolls) im gonna strip it back down to the frame and do it right. I'll be putting one of my spare 351w engines from my race car in and an nv4500. It has a 5.5 inch suspension lift and 33/12.50s right now. Ill be adding a 2 inch body lift to aid in the addition of the transmission and will be bumping up to a 35 or 37 inch tire depending on how much space i have for articulation. As for the body, it is in relatively good condition for a 42 year old piece of steel. I will have to replace the normal pieces.......rocker panels, floor pans and the such but the rest is alright.

If anyone is interested in the process, i will post pictures of the project as it morphs.

Seperate yourself from the pack.............build it instead of buying it

Last edited:

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Pictures?
Did someone say pictures?

Heck ya I wanta see pictures!!

Sounds like one hella Bronco you'll have there.

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
I'll take some pics before i get started this morning and then some tonight to show progress. BTW .....do i just use the "insert image" icon in the message header to add pics to each post?

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I'll take some pics before i get started this morning and then some tonight to show progress. BTW .....do i just use the "insert image" icon in the message header to add pics to each post?

No, u have to become a contributor to post, I think $12/annual....and when posting new thread load photos is at bottom or if your editing a thread, go advanced and then u see load photo button, I think you may have to resize, I think the site supports 1000ishx900ish images

70_Steve

Old Guy
BTW .....do i just use the "insert image" icon in the message header to add pics to each post?
Two ways to post pics. One, as NJB71 mentioned, is to become a contributor @ $12 a year. That allows you to post picture directly into the thread. The other way is to upload your pics to some picture hosting site, like Photobucket. Then you would use the Insert Image function to include a link to the picture.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
With that much lift you will be able to fit 35's no problem, maybe even the 37's. I have a 3-1/2" SL + 2" body lift and have no problems fitting my 35's under full articulation.

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
well, hardtop is off, seats are all out, hood is off, front bumper and winch are off, windshield is off. Taking a lunch break and then im gonna get on the removal of the 8 body mounts which look like im gonna either use my sawzall or torch or combination of both to get off. All but the two front ones look to be pretty well seized up. Im gonna leave my doors on to help keep the tub from warping when i lift it off the frame since my rocker panels are the weak link on this body.

thanks for the info on how to post pics

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Make sureto brace up the rear for the tailgate. I welded in my new rear floor section and it now hits on the passenger side top of tailgate. OOPS!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The body is off!!! only took one day. i'll have the rest of the stuff off the frame tomorrow.

As someone whos done one, my advice would be to keep the body on the frame--for now...maybe go ahead and put in your new body mounts...and do your sheet metal work (floors, rockers and some of the other stuff), while its on the frame, this will help with keeping things alligned. You can brace the doors, the middle and the back if you want as well when it comes off for good...to go to paint, liner, etc. Are you going to build a body cart or "bax-hoop" so you can roll it for access to the bottom of the tub. A rotisserie is very handy for such... Its good to know some of the right folks. The rotisserie was invaluable for some of the repair work, and definitely the paint and Line-X.

Good luck with your build.

John

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
Ok, i took a few pics of todays festivities but they are all too large to load and im tired so i will figure out how to make them small enough to load tomorrow.

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
Im keeping the body on one of my spare trailers for now and a buddy of mine has a paint booth with a rotisserie. Its good to know the right people!!! thanks for the advice John

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
here's pics of the body lifting off on day 1......left the doors on and the tailgate on and installed bracing on the inside to keep everything rigid. I got the motor, transmission, transfer case, and exhaust out today...pics of that still to come. Hopefully i'll have the frame to the sandblaster/powder coater sometime tuesday.

Attachments

• body off 4.jpg
    body off 4.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 875
  • body off.jpg
    body off.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 835

Nightstick

Bronco guy
You're making quick work of that man, slow down!!! If it doesn't take at least a year or 5 you're gonna piss a lotta people off!

Just kidding... Glad to see someone is on the ball. Maybe when you're done you could come to my place. Not to work, but just to kick me in the arse when I stop working for longer than 30 seconds.

Are you gonna put a D44 or 60 up front?

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
Got my hands on a 44. I'd like to have the 60 but the disc brake conversion i did last year will bolt straight up to the 44 with no more mods so 44 it is.

OP
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
well, quick update.............got the frame back from the powder coater after he sandblasted it and i welded a set of hoops on the front and cut off the stock shock towers. I also welded on the double shock setup for the rear and used my grinder to remove any of the slag that was on the frame from the factory. It already looks pretty good. Got my 5.5 inch rear springs from Chuck 2 days ago so i can throw away those lift blocks. (unless someone wants them) All i have left to do before i send it back to be coated is fabricate my radius arm relocation brackets and weld them on. I'll load some more pics soon.

I also found a 78 f150 4x4 at my local junk yard and got the np205 out of it. I was gonna pull the radius arms to make some lars bars with but they were almost rusted through. Anyway, thats where im at for the week.

thanks for watching.
steve