• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with shock length, F250 shock tower

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I know how to measure for shocks and I did for the rear, but I have a problem for the front. I will be putting the F250 shock towers in, but I have to do some other things first. I also need to get the Rancho 9k shocks here because I have a deadline.

I have stock radius arms, WH progressive springs 3.5 lift, and will have F250 shock towers.

If you have the same setup can you tell me your compresion and extension?

Thanks

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You could measure the distance between your bumpstop and the frame and add about 1.5" for compression of the stop. That should be approximately the amount of compression you need, double that for extension and that should tell you about the amount of travel you need and help figure out what shock to run.

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I just mesured my stock extension and compression. I then hed up the f250 shock mount marked where the stock one hit the f250 then i measured the difference and added that to my compression and extension.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Guys, does anyone know how much taller or more travel the F250 mount will afford vs. the stock mount?

I have waited until the last minute (today!) to take advantage of the JBG 10% off sale. I’m going with their 2.5” superflex kit, and will be installing the F250 front shock mounts and need to tell them that I will need longer front shocks.

Thanks!

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
With stock radius arms I don't think you'd ever max out your shock travel with f 250 towers. I would mount them as high as I could and get a long enough shock that only gives you 3-4" of up travel. Someday you'll get extended rad arms and will want more travel, and doing the towers now will save you time and $.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I mounted mine as high as I could. The bottom edge of the mount is about an inch above the bottom of the frame. I called WildHorses and they sent me the real long RS9000's for the tubular shock towers with the taller bump stops. The taller bump stops keep me from bottomming out the shocks until I can do the tubular long travel mounts. I presently have way more droop than I can use with my stock arms but it is really working nice right now.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
For anyone that might search and find this... here are two data points:

Below is the stock setup on my '76. The distance from the top of the shock mount to the top of the frame rail is 6.25". To the bottom of the frame rail is 10 3/8".

According to Xcntrk, on his '66 the distance is 11". So that's about 4.75" of added travel!

"It's about 11" from top of frame to horizontal point where the shocks mount.. Keep in mind there's lots of variation there depending on how high up on the frame you install the F250 mounts.

Yes I cut off the old mounts, and installed the new ones in the same location. There's a hole in the frame, both sides, behind the stock mounts. Then the F250 mounts have a hole low on the mounting surface. Most folks line those up and run a long grade-8 bolt through. Mine are both bolted (using that hole) and welded."