• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1st Attempt at a Bikini Top

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well here are pics of my 1st, one-off attempt at a bikini top for my rig.

The material is Garden Shade Material form Lowes. Cost was about 25.oo dollars or so. The clips cost about 8.00 and the cording was like 5.00. It took me about 3 hours to make it, probably because I am slow and did not want to make a mistake.%)

The material allows some sun in and still gives the inside of the truck that no-top open feel! Also for the slow trail rides the material cuts all the sun/heat out yet allows any inside heat to escape a little easier. It does not radiate heat into the cab either from heating up.

They did not have black cording do "Oh Well" it's a truck! I think I will look for black cording for next summer, probably a camping or backpacking store? I thought of bungee cording but this nylon allows me to keep the top super tight with no flopping or air bubbles!;)

So instead of 190.00 for a family cage Bikini top, I made mine for a little less and now I get to brag! ha-ha

I am still making adjustments and working the bugs out but so far at 75 mph the thing works perfect!;D
Here are the pics!

Attachments

• bikini front shot.jpg
    bikini front shot.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 895
  • bikini side view.jpg
    bikini side view.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 936
  • Side clips-ties.jpg
    Side clips-ties.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 871
  • Bikin Rear Tie.jpg
    Bikin Rear Tie.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 699
  • Top of Bikini from back.jpg
    Top of Bikini from back.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Looks really good (love ideas like this!) - how did you mount it to the top of the windshield?

Is it see thru? Would it stop any rain?

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Looks really good (love ideas like this!) - how did you mount it to the top of the windshield?

I bought a used riser from another bronco brother on this site! Painted it to match the doors, cage and bumpers!

Is it see thru? Would it stop any rain?

Yes it is see thru & yes you will get rained on;D..

BUT I live in the desert..basically it RARELY rains in Santa Clarita! I carry a small cheap blue tarp when wheeling/camping away from home so that in a pinch I can stay semi dry if I am met by some unforseen rain. I also have used garbage bags on the tube doors during the rain and that works surprisingly well when driving!;D

I lived in South Carolina for two years so I understand how it is hard for some people back east to understand that out here we will go months without rain and if it does it is something you know is coming and you can prepare for it. For me I don't go camping/wheeling if I know it might be "wet"..but still here our gear can dry out in one day!;)

Hawkdoc

How did you attach it to the front riser? Did the clips come from Lowes also? If so I am heading out soon. You did a great job and I know what my weekend project will be. Thank you!

Hawkdoc

trtlsoup22

What about using parachute cord?? I sell black or OD green at my store.. U should be able to find it easily.. Or even something like cord u use on duck decoys..

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
How did you attach it to the front riser? Did the clips come from Lowes also? If so I am heading out soon. You did a great job and I know what my weekend project will be. Thank you!

Hawkdoc

Ya I forgot about that part..I bought "2" 3/4 x 48 x 1/8? Aluminum strips at OSH at about 7.00 each They did not have it any wider. I then cut each strip to exact widths. I taped the two strips together. I then used some trim adhesive to hold the fabric to the now one thin aluminum piece and the wife and I carefully folded it one time over. We then slid the fabric into the chanel and jammed it neatly and cleanly into the riser top!

Also I folded all the edges once over before I used the clips just to give it strength. I even took a lighter(VERY CAREFULLY) to the areas I had to cut in the hopes of helping to keep it from fraying.(I'm not too worries as like I said I have att he edges folded over and clamped between the clips. I had to use pliers to squeeze the double fabric and clips together as the clips are designed for ine sheet of fabric. I also gad to make sure the self puncturing clips actually went through both layers, even having to sort of cut right where the puncture is "supposed" to happen.(This fabric is pretty tuff and it does not stretch much.

Remember to keep it square as you fold it and start with the "factory edge". I noticed mine has shifted more to one side that the other and that "I Think" is because I was not able to fold and wrap the front chanel perfectly!...I was so excited that all I wanted to do was fold that puppy up and get er done!

All in all I am pleased..we went all the way to Santa Monica then up to Malibu the next day to break it in and the thing "works for me"!

I can post pics of the metal I used when I get home!

..Thanks ;D

p.s. It probably took me about 6 hours total..but like I said I'm slow! heh-heh

Matt!

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
More pics....Tools needed! heh-heh

ps for the life of me I do not understand why my pics on this post are so small!%)

Attachments

• Bikini Tools needed!.jpg
    Bikini Tools needed!.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 381
  • Bikini measure twice or more cut once!.jpg
    Bikini measure twice or more cut once!.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
more pics of the bikini Riser end, fold and where bikini meets cage. ;D

Also I looked for the remainder of the metal I used to fold the material over but I could not find it tonight!

I hope this inspires some of you!

Oh ya I made some tricky cuts and folds at the rear to insure strength, cleaness and unraveling or unfolding. I had to do this because the clips will really only take two thicknesses of fabric to work properly, rember the clips were really only designed for one layer but you can get two in them if you use patience and pliers! .I had to ponder it a bit but it all came out clean.

Go for it I am sure you can do better!

Attachments

• bikini riser front end view.jpg
    bikini riser front end view.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 259
  • bikini riser meets cage at front.jpg
    bikini riser meets cage at front.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 274
  • bikini side view of riser.jpg
    bikini side view of riser.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 343
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
bigger pics

Here are some bigger pics I took at night in the garage...I can take better ones in the day if anyone wants more!

Attachments

• top 1.jpg
    top 1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 374
  • top 2.jpg
    top 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 407
  • top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 349
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Update to my mesh top!

..I did not run my mesh top last year!

...I unrolled it and installed it yeaterday.

....It took about 1/2 an hour and it looks just as good as the day I made it!;D

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Someone asked?

I had an old phone when I made this top. I have a new phone now. Someone asked for better pics and pics of the clips I used so here ya go. If you need any others let me know!;D

Attachments

• clip 3.jpg
    clip 3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 175
  • clip 4.jpg
    clip 4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 162
  • clip 5.jpg
    clip 5.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 157
  • clip 6.jpg
    clip 6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 156
  • clip1.jpg
    clip1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 189

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Those clips look like they would tear the shade cloth after some road driving. Just curious, did you do much high spead driving with the top on, and did you notice any tearing? Thanks.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I have had the top for three years and it is on the truck from April-Nov. I drive it all the time at 70 mph1 no issues except one clip needed to be replaced, because one of the pins broke, but the material has never torn. I double folded the material before I used the clips to bind the material. This stuff is super strong.;D
it really does work!

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Great top. I have 30 feet of this shade cloth (for my porch) and I love it. I'd like to make a similar bikini top, but I'm still confused about your riser...

Is the riser something you constructed yourself, or did you purchase it from an EB vendor?

Also, the risor seems very low-profile...did you use wiper motor lowering hardware?