• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof Rack to cage!

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I THINK? it's been done before but I wanted to show what I did to mount roof racks over my bikini top.

Now I can mount my Yakima Bike Racks and other things to the bike rack! I will make a light weight, screen type basket. I think I will use that 2 x 4 galvanized type fencing and paint it black!? Not sure but I am thinkin that would be all I need!,,,stay tuned!;D

Attachments

• Welded Channel 2.jpg
    Welded Channel 2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Angle Iron Mounted 1.jpg
    Angle Iron Mounted 1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Angle Iron ounted side view.jpg
    Angle Iron ounted side view.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Bronco Yakima Angle bracket.jpg
    Bronco Yakima Angle bracket.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Yakima tower 2.jpg
    Yakima tower 2.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Yakima Tower to cage.jpg
    Yakima Tower to cage.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Nice design! I built a hitch mounted bike rack for my Bronco. Long live long rides!

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Nice design! I built a hitch mounted bike rack for my Bronco. Long live long rides!

Amen..my other ride is an Ellsworth Moment! ;)...Got a specialized for the commute! haaa..well that an an 1800 with a throttle!;)

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I like it, and dang if you did not make it easier.........been thinking of how to do this myself, now the thinking is over. Also do you have any better picture's;D? I think this would work for my soft top also (with sides off in summer) and I couls fit all my camping gear. Thanks,

bblue

Loc.
Canada
good idea. I am getting ready to fab up a rack for my 12 foot cartop boat thats removable

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
WOW ! Thanks so much! I was wondering if anyone would get excited about the concept. ;D

There were several thoughts as to the threads I would use and the "what if I strip the threads so I opted for nuts that I can insert into the channel instead of using inserts or even welding the nuts to the inside of the channel! Ya it takes a little extra time to insert the nuts but if I have problem with threads I can easily insert a fresh nut!...as that is what I am! heh-heh;D

Also I will replace the bolts with allen button heads for a cleaner look and to deter theives! %);D

Again THANKS for the atta - boy! AND what kind of pics do you want!?

p.s. I did not need to drill into the cage at alland with the combitation of washer, angle iron and channel I think it is a 1/4-20 x 3/4 works perfect!;)

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Soo here is the bike rack!..Finally...AND I can add what I want to the tubes!..NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY OR THINK! AHHA HAAAA!;D;)....OK TEASING...BUT YOU JUST WAIT!;);D

Attachments

• yakima rear.jpg
    yakima rear.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 210
  • yakima front close up.jpg
    yakima front close up.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 237
  • biknii top front.jpg
    biknii top front.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 269
  • yakima side.jpg
    yakima side.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 308

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
yeah, hard to see the detail with those pics. Pls post larger pics.
Very interested in this idea / concept.

I've been trying to figure out how I would do something similar, but with a full soft top without the windows rolled up or removed.

Matt W, you have any ideas / thoughts for that set-up?

Thanks for posting this.
-Robert

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
yeah, hard to see the detail with those pics. Pls post larger pics.
Very interested in this idea / concept.

I've been trying to figure out how I would do something similar, but with a full soft top without the windows rolled up or removed.

Matt W, you have any ideas / thoughts for that set-up?

Thanks for posting this.
-Robert

I am not sure why "this" site is making the pics smaller. I can e-mail these pics to you and maybe your program will be able to see them as they are. When I look at them on my computer they are large...send me your e-mail and I will send you the pics.

...As far as the top. I designed this set up for no top or for a soft top with the windows removed. ...I "think" if I had a soft top or could look at one I couls figure it out! I know there are several people on this site that have done what you are asking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
The Basis

Close up showing the c-channel which is the basis for attaching the whole Yakima Tubes / bike system! What is cool about only using the tubes as the basis for packing any soft, bulky gear is that it is VERY light weight and versatile. On the last trip I just threw a towel down between my bikini top and soft gear and tied it down using the actual cage and tubes as tie down points! I WAS going to build a floor of sorts but after this last trip, a towel and the cage as the floor I am NOT going to build a floor!
http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/23898/cat/500/ppuser/18431

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Here is a pic with cargo on board!..Actually you cant see it But I lay a heavy towel over the bikini top, then add a heavy towel or blanket and then store soft camping gear or light weight items, Ie sleeping bags, sleeping mats, etc, and then lash it down! So I use the cage as a carry option also!;D

Attachments

• Bronco Bikes.jpg
    Bronco Bikes.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 165

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Now that last pic was large enough....can you go back and make your other one's larger?? I am really interested in the detail on how you did it and maintained your bikini top

TIA

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Now that last pic was large enough....can you go back and make your other one's larger?? I am really interested in the detail on how you did it and maintained your bikini top

TIA

sorry it took so long.......

Attachments

• rack pic 2.jpg
    rack pic 2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 104
  • rack pic 3.jpg
    rack pic 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 110
  • rack pic 4.jpg
    rack pic 4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 98