• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New project

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I now am wondering if I could kep all stock and get the gt40 heads from an explorer. My 02 wrangler with the i6 4 liter used to cruise at 100 mph and tow the trailer just fine. the bronco with the 5.0 should be a lot better, specially with the proper gears and a wide ration AOD.

Any body out there???

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes.

If you drive a Bronco at 100MPH you will die.

Sorry.

Seriously, if your wanting daily driver reliability, I have learned the "easier cheaper simpler route" is always better. Others differ, but I would avoid a stroker kit for daily driving unless you really want one.

Your basic parts sound good, gt40 heads will bolt right up. Might want to grab the serp from the explorer you pulled the motor. I would also advise going AOD/e as C4's are getting hard to find and harder to reliably rebuild.

I figure once you have the motor apart, why not spend the extra effort to make it go another 150,000? Turn the crank 10 under, check the cyl bore for need to overbore (means new pistons), new bearings, new timing chain set, new oil pump at least.

I advise that 2,000lbs of towing weight is probably well beyond what a Bronco can handle, others may offer other bits of advice.

Lastly, you will most likely end up in a ditch driving a Bronco at 100mph, these things were designed during the "I can't drive 55" era. Keep the speed with your GT. Good luck, welcome aboard, bring your wallet.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you have now asked Q's that others know more about, they'll be around. Good luck.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
cool, and thanks again, this will be a fun project, specially since my wife and kids are behind me, my teenager son is going with me parts hunting and learning about cars. my 11 year old son is like a sponge on technical stuff. My wife just wants to drive a cool looking Bronco, she owned a red cj7 when i meet her.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
OK, I got my engine stand back and ordered the rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump and freeze plug kit from Jegs. I plan to clean the engine Saturday and hone the cylinders. I had the block and crank measured and std rings will work and I got .001 bearings for the crank, std for the rods. I want to assemble the short block.

I might also bring the bronco home from my bro's house to start the disassemble process to assemble to the non rusted frame and tub.

I will try to get pictures of the way the bronco look right now.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Bronco is home

picked up the Bronco and drove it home, god I hate that 3 speed manual, specially since I kept grabbing the TC lever. It need brake work, steering work, the engine has a exhaust leak and it is pretty gut less, I will pick up the tub and frame tomorrow.

OK, I have pictures, how do I post them??;D

MattW

Welcome to the forum, hands down the best forum on the internet. No dumb questions here and countless people to offer their knowledge.

As far as posting pictures, you can become a contributor for $12 a year or use the typical photobucket sites to host them.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
w

Any help is appreciated, I plan to do light off roading with the bronco, mostly sand, I figure the v8 explorer TC should take the abuse.

Last edited:

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am planning the same thing, and I would go with the 4R70W trans and a NP205. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I remmeber correctly these bolt right up. You will have to buy the controller for the trans, but I figure that would pay for itself in gas mileage. :cool:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
My plan is to use the 91 AOD and swap in the internal upgrades of the mech diode and wide gear set. I understand that this should work, and hopefully not need more electronics.

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
wow, 290 looks (hits) and no input, sounds like I am threading new ground. I plan to spend a day at the pick you part wrecking yard soon, take and dissect a AOD, and a 4R79W and transfer case from a V8 explorer, if they bolt up, I am buying the TC, and the adapter and internals required. I let you know if I do it.

I was hoping some one had gone trough this before, ;D

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
I'm sure people have they just haven't chimed in yet. Be patient young grasshopper :) check craigslist. I've seen half the stuff your looking for on there in the past 2 weeks! Welcome!

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Jpops thank you for the cooling down, I have been waiting for a long time to start this project and as we all know Patience is a virtue, I will be patient ;D

I have two avenues I am following, 205 TC or v8 Explorer TC, both with the AOD, I have been looking at craigslist, under bronco and 302 engine parts, I will start to look for a 205and 70's trucks. :cool:

OP
OP
G's Baja Bronco

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I am between the 205, now that I have found that most fords (except for the early bronco) have a 31 spline 6 bolt connection between adapter plane and TC, and a explorer TC.

Does any one know if the 96 explorer is the same TC they use on the 5.4L expeditions and Navigators? some one on Craigslist claimed that.

secondly, will a explorer TC be p/t or just AWD?