• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to exhaust?

On road soon

Just finishing a 74 and am deleting the doors and top. Bought a Bestop Bikini Top to install over the rollbar. To prevent exhaust fumes from swirling around me whare should I run the exhaust pipes? Straight out the back or out the sides behind the rear wheels?
Also, what seats work best for street and light off-road? Thanks

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I read somewhere that if you run topless you'd wanna dump it out the side. If it's in the rear the fumes will come back in the cab... I don't know from experience though.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Behind the rear tires works best but then you gotta worry about hitting em off road. On my 72 I aimed em down after the mufflers before the rear axle.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Behind the rear wheels out the side because the airstream carries the fumes away from the rig. Out the back and the fumes get caught in a swirling affect from the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of the Bronco and get carried back into the rig. I know people that complain of fumes even with their hardtops on w/ rear exiting exhaust. Prob worse w/ the hardtop as w/ the bikini the airflow through the truck would keep them out but I'd still exit out the side if I was planning on rear passengers.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Mine has the dual exhaust existing behind the rear wheels at an angle - kinda pointing right at the back corner at an angle. When I have the soft top on and zipped up, or the soft top off completely, it is fine. However, if I open the rear window, I get exhaust smell in the cab.

Eric