• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best EEC?

krisbassett

Hello Everyone.

I have installed a 5.8 out of a 1990 f250 in my 67 Bronco. I am currently using the stock EEC from the truck. The truck had a manual tranny. I am going to install a set of GT40 heads off of a 97 explorer. The cam is stock. The pistons are for a 95 ford lightening. and it has a set of headers on it. Other than that it's a stock setup.

I was wondering if the EEC I am running is the best for my setup or if changing to a Mustang EEC would be better?

Thanks
Kris

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think an EEC tuned to the weight of a truck would be better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd agree with that too. If the one you're using has worked well, keep it. But when you get the chance (and the money!), get a custom chip burned for it. Whether off-the-shelf or done locally by a dyno-tuner, I would think that would net you the best results.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that I think of it, just the heads and headers and pistons are not a huge change for the computer I wouldn't think. They're all nice little improvements, but not a radical difference. Maybe the ECU can adjust.
But if not, go custom. Any Mustang computer is going to have the same disadvantages as the truck unit does. Probably a bit more, since they're all for 5.0's and yours is a 5.8.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The EEC that matches the MAF, injectors and wiring with a tune for that specific engine is the best.

But as dirtdonk mentioned, Your changes are very minor. The heads flow a little better and the headers are a little better, but with a stock cam it should be very close to manufacturing tolerances, just on the good side. The pistons shouldn't really change anything. If you are running the stock truck harness, just put the stock truck computer in it. There are a LOT of differences between the truck harness and a MAF car harness (no MAF, bank fired...) I good shop could probably throw a tun on the truck computer if need be.

But if doing a car harness and MAF, get stuff that works together. You can either use a stock MAF, injector and computer (A9 series, I think the A9T police package is the best from the specs) or get any A9 series computer, a custom tune, find what the tuner like for MAFs and injectors and get those. Once you start with the custom tune then the aftermarket "tuned" MAFS are a total waste as the tuner will have to undo the aftermarket tuning to get it to work right with his custom tune, stock sample tube in a generic large housing or large MAF off a stock application that you can find later is better. Remember that you may need to service this in the future, stock parts are easy to order and get a match years from now. Aftermarket stuff will be around, but probably not the same calibration as today.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
A9L can adapt pretty far, when I first ran my fi with no chip I had a bunch of non stock stuff(42lb injectors,80mm aftermarket maf, big cam), and it was pretty close. Is your current setup maf?

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Thanks for the replies guys. I had heard that some computers had a better timing curve to them that's the biggest reason for my question. I am running the speed density setup out of the truck right now. I have a 97 explorer sitting in my yard right now that I've been thinking about stealing the MAF off of. I have been wondering if it is worth the effort to use the MAF since my setup isn't very far from stock.

Thanks
Kris

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't. At least not until you've done some digging with people who might have done it. I think you have some incompatibilities to deal with here.

Have you checked the connector on the MAF lately? The Exploder MAF's connector is completely different the one that would be on the Mustang harness, And you can't use the Explorer computer since it's a different connector and uses DIS and returnless fuel system, so is not compatible without some work that I'm not familiar with. If at all.
Not sure about the connector on the truck harness, but since it's an SD setup, I'm guessing that there is no MAF connector at all then? Nor a circuit in the ECU connector?

Are the main ECU connectors even the same between the Mustang and Pickup computers?
I'm sure the others will know. I may be overthinking this and it's no problem after all, but it sounds initially like you're trying to mix apples and oranges to get grape juice. Gonna take some wizardry and an advanced degree in snake-oil salesmanship.

Or not... But at least bringing all that up will let those more knowledgeable than me chime in and I might learn something.

Paul

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

If I decided to use the MAF system I would use the harness out of the Explorer. I have the complete vehicle. The SD I am using now is all off of the f250 computer and all. I used the harness off of the truck and just eliminated the wires I didn't need. I would do the same on the one from the explorer. So basically all I would be using off of what I have now is my engine.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, cool beans then. I like the Explorer's OBDII setup anyway, but I've heard it's a lot of twiddling with the harness that's necessary to make it work right.
Or maybe that's just for the guys that are going from the DIS setup to an older distributor-type ignition?
Not sure, but good luck either way!

Paul

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
The computer from the explorer is OBDII, theres a lot more stuff going on with that compared to the mustang setup.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Here are a couple pics of the Bronco as She is.

Bronco003.jpg

Bronco002.jpg

Bronco001.jpg

Bronco004.jpg

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The explorer MAF won't work it won't talk to the computer with accurate values. The ACT, ECT, MAP sensor will all work. The computer (eec) you need for mass air, should match the injectors, and the MAF.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

The explorer MAF won't work it won't talk to the computer with accurate values. The ACT, ECT, MAP sensor will all work. The computer (eec) you need for mass air, should match the injectors, and the MAF.

If I decide to go that route everything off of the explorer will be transfered to the Bronco.The wiring harness,EEC,Injectors,distributorless ignition and MAF.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only thing you'll have to source out then would be the cam position sensor. I wouldn't think that the Explorer 5.0 unit would fit into the taller 5.8.

Paul

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

Had not thought of that. Does a 302 and a 351 use different distributors? Been too long since I messed with a 302.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Also the explorer is a 50oz and the 351 is a 28 oz balancer, there is shops that can rebalance the harmonic balancer for you. There have been some people that have fabracated a cam sensor for the 351 on sbftech.