• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another C4 leak(s)

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Gentlemen, why would this be leaking on a freshly rebuilt C4 that hasn't left the garage yet. Just put fluid in it a week ago and I think this is the only place it is leaking at this time. It is coming from the set screw looking device just forward of the kick down. Check this picture.

http://www.whatareyouworkinon.com/content/c4-leak

P.S. I tried to tighten the locking nut but it was already torqued down.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That is the adjustment screw and locknut for the 2nd gear band. The nut has a silicone ring around the threads. If it's an old nut it's torn. New ones come with the rebuild/gasket kits. A fix is to remove the nut and put some RTV around the threads, then tighten it back down to about 40 ft-lbs. This has to be done without turning the set screw or you could lose the 2nd gear band adjustment.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Since the elite squad at Cottman transmissions rebuilt this thing and didn't replace this part, what are the odds that they didn't set the 2nd gear band adjustment?

markperry

Bronco Guru
Since the elite squad at Cottman transmissions rebuilt this thing and didn't replace this part, what are the odds that they didn't set the 2nd gear band adjustment?

Since Cottman did the rebuild, don't they guarantee their work....take it back and tell them too fix it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Easy adjustment if you want to just do it yourself. Remove locknut and turn the adjuster in (clockwise) until it seats with about 10 ft-lbs. Then turn it out 1 1/2 to 1 3/4turns. Goop up the locknut and reinstall while holding the setscrew still.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Since Cottman did the rebuild, don't they guarantee their work....take it back and tell them too fix it.

Roger, they have a 12 month warrantee but, I just stuck a crate motor in and I have a little ways to go before I can drive it to Cottman's. Got to keep it from bleeding out in my garage for now.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Obvious use of old sealing nut. Call them and have them give you a new nut if you feel confident you can R and R.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Thanks Viperwolf1, the "gooping it up" method appears to be working and should hold until I can get to Cottman and have them install a new nut and probable readjust the 2nd gear band.