• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Pump recommendations?

abe_froman

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
Well, had my first Bronco breakdown last night. :-[ Luckily, I wasn't in a big hurry or too far from home. I was cruising down I-40 to check on my parents and then it just died and wouldn't start back up. Keep in mind that I am not a mechanic by any means, part of the reason I got this rig is so I can learn this stuff.

I got it towed home, poked around this morning and it looks like the fuel pump went out. I unhooked the line right before the filter and stuck it in a bottle, tried to crank it and there wasn't a drop of gas in the bottle.Is there a better way to check it? Or does it sound like the pump crapped out to y'all?

If so, I reckon I'm in the market for a new one. So, is there one y'all particularly stand behind? Its not a trail rig, just a pavement pounder that I drive 3-5 days/week.

OP
OP
abe_froman

abe_froman

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
I guess you might need to know that it's a '68 with a 289 and a pretty basic 2bbl carb that should probably be replaced in the next year or so.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The best indication of a bad pump is loss of pump suction. If I suspect a bad fuel pump I usually put a vacuum gauge on the inlet side and have someone crank it over. Most vacuum gauges have a scale to measure fuel pump vacuum. For a replacement I like to go to one of the better auto part stores rather than the wax and oil chain stores. You will get a lot of advice to replace it with an electric pump but I use a quality mechanical and have had no issues.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You need to verify that the fuel line and tank pickup are clear. When you get the fuel pump inlet hose off, put a little air pressure into the tank with an air hose. You should get a good squirt of gas out of the fuel line.