• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will a 77 gas tank go in a 71 without any problems?

jp78712

my bronco didnt come with a tank so i found a used 77 rear main and the aux tank for sale. I have a 71 so will they both go in without any problems with I get the mounting hardware for the new ones?

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
No problem, I put a rear 77 tank in a 70. Didn't have any trouble and I believe the side tanks are all the same size.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
The rear will take some drilling. I drilled and tapped the front holes in the cross member, and the sides I drilled and slide a nut and washer in the frame. I didn't trust drilling and tapping them all since mine goes off road.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No problem, I put a rear 77 tank in a 70. Didn't have any trouble and I believe the side tanks are all the same size.

Did you have to remove the frame supports for the early steel tank? I didn't think the '77 plastic tank was the same shape, so wouldn't fit into the "saddles" (for lack of a better term) correctly. Not to mention that they might wear through the plastic anyway.
Does the skid plate for the '77 tank bolt to the frame, or is it held in by a strap still?
I should know that, since I've been helping with a buddies for years. But he's had an aftermarket 23 gallon for so long, I forgot how his original mounted.

Thanks.

Paul

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
yes the factory brackets need to come out, the 77 tank straps in the skid and then the skid bolts to the frame.