• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof Rack

c-gallagher

Has anyone put a roof rack on their Bronco? If so what rack and how did you mount it.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a vintage roof rack that was sold for EB's back in the day..its very simple really; it mounts with 'feet' that sit in the roof gutter and clamp to the edges of it.

I bet that somebody still sells something like those original 'gutter mount' racks.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a Yakima carrier for my kyak that has padded gutter grips. It is pretty sturdy. I use the kyak as a cargo carrier and it holds a lot of weight. You can get their Megawarrier basket for it and an extension to make it 48" wide X 74" long. It is perfect for a Bronco's top. The nice thing is that it comes off easily so you're not carrying it around all the time since I doubt it will fit through a standard garage door with the rack on.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Check out Off Road Unlimited, they have something like the old Conferr Roof Rack that were made for Bronco's back in the day. It has feet that goes in the rain gutter.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'm not sure if the eB roof is strong enough for this, but a 4-door Explorer rack works great on a FSB.

You'd have to use different mounting hardware since your roof is single-wall steel, but it's a nice rack; easy to adjust, and sturdier than its rating. I've had nearly 300 lbs on mine. And they're cheap & plentiful in the JYs!

How much weight do you need to carry up there?

jray

Ours had a rack like the one described by bmc69, feet clamped in the rain gutter on the roof. We didn't like it so we took it off, one of the first things we did to the EB. It'sitting behind the shed with some more junk now.