• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring.....Centech or Painless?

racetra

Loc.
Arnold Ca
After doing some repairs and installing a tach, I am bout done with the wiring or should I say ball of basgetti under my dash.
Is the painless really worth the extra couple hundred $$ over the centech

What makes it so much more.
Wire size?
I know it has a bigger fuse setup

Whats the real deal?

Would like to do this early next year if possible.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
having done both , get the centech and save your cash for something else.
when you get the centech get the ignition switch adapter and use your stock switch, the one in the kit is garbage.

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
I am not an electrical wiz by any means but I installed the Centech by myself for the most part and it went fine.
A few calls the Centech tech support and reading lots of posts here and it was done.
AC

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've installed several Centechs, but my next one is going to be the new Painless, so I can have more to compare to. I like several of the design strategies of the Painless, but mostly I think it's more easily modified (re-routing wires to suit the individual vehicle) if you're into customizing your rig and have new things all over the place and want to route the wires your own way.
The Centech is fully loomed, wrapped, taped and tied, so changing wire routes is a bit more involved.
That said, both are of fine quality, use good wires and should be easily installed. Centech is still following the almost universal practice of using GM color codes (just as Painless did up until this new harness), but Painless is using Ford color codes. It's not critical, since all wires are clearly labeled as to their function, but it's just another nice little thing.

Paul

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Do the Centech, buy your self some shrink wrap and solder all of your ends. Also order some loom tape from RJM (cheapest and easiest to find) and wrap the harness after you ditch the Centech loom.

I think an average joe could fairly easily have a the new harness installed in a weekend, or 2 weekends if your super detailed. Read the instructions several times before you install it, it'll clear up some confusion during the install. Ditch their ignition switch, buy the adapter harness, and also ditch their wiper switch. It's also easier to pull the dash out, install the dash portion first, then install the dash, then pull the harnes through the firewall.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
X2 on everything needabronco said. I ditched the PVC Valve Gromets that Centek uses for the firewall and installed the '50s Ford set up 73Stallion reccomended. Also got rid of a lot of wires I dont need before rewraping with the harness wrap from RJM. Will be clean when all done. While the dash is out is a good time to do the volt meter mod, move the glove box etc.

chase8266

Loc.
vegas/slc/medford,OR
x2 on centech,take a pic of the gauge cluster wires b4 you remove them,and i used a butane torch for the soldering be careful it heats up fast.you dont need to take the dash out to install
on my 2nd harness i went with a 3G alt and a DUI distributor and a new high torque starter
which cleaned up alot of wires on the fender well,and a battery that has top and side posts
helped.if you go with a 3G alt send a PM when your ready to wire it

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI there's no such thing as painless wiring in my book.;D

I'll second that remark!
They may not all be life-altering experiences, but they're not completely free of some pain at least yet either.

Paul