• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FIXED!! Won't stay running after teaching someone how to drive stick

Steve0

Hey guys, last night I tried to teach my GF how to drive my 3 speed Bronco. She killed it a few times and then gunned it after it started bucking when she was starting off in first. After that hard rev the car died when slowing down/ coming to a stop. I thought she killed it so I got in an started it up and drove off.

Now when I come to a stop or don't have my foot on the gas it dies. No sputtering, chugging, or anything, just like the whole car turned off. I still have all my electrics working and it always starts right back up but I have to keep it revved or else it will die. Drives fine in all gears at all speeds, just when I take my foot off the gas it cuts out and dies.

It's a '71 302 with 2bbl carb. I checked for vacuum leaks and there aren't any. Do you think something wrong with carb? timing? coil?

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Clearly your Truck is telling you who needs to drive her, she
y not lime the other woman! So have a short talk to both of them and then check your throttle linkage. I would guess your GF floored the gas hard and bent something

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
One backfire can also blow the check valve for the brake booster (if you have one). It creates a large vacume leak that wont let the engine idle. Easy to troubleshoot. Just pull off the hose at the check valve and plug it with a bolt or something. If that is it, it should idle fine with it pluged. They are cheep at the auto parts store and dont cost much either. Better quality OEM parts at junk yard.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Teaching someone to drive a standard trans in a Bronco rule #1- Dirt road, 4 LOW!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Another check on that brake valve if the hose going to it is soft then you van pinch it off with vice grips ..If hose is harf I don't like to pinch them because they'll break.
... I used to have a chevy that the dist. would shift changing my timing ..
I used to leave it looser than I guess I should have .. Bump it a little all was back to good on mine ..
..With her torquing it several times some thing could have bent.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also have had dirt stick the needle and seat open after a hard rev. Then it won't idle because too much fuel is drooling down the engine.

Timing jump is also possible, timing chain stretch/slip is another possibility.

Lots of stuff it could be.

OP
OP
S

Steve0

Well today I replaced the carb to intake gasket because I saw fuel was leaking out. Replaced that and it still wouldn't idle. Messed with the idle screw and it now will idle; however, the idle is really choppy and when I rev it through the RPMs it pops. The truck is running pig rich so I'm leaning towards plugged needles?

Could a bad coil or timing cause this choppy idle?

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A blown power valve could also cause it to run rich and idle bad. I would check it.

OP
OP
S

Steve0

How do you check to see the power valve?

I tried advancing/retarding timing while running and when I moved the distributor back and forth nothing happened? Possibly bad points?

Yeah she feels really bad, so bad I'm starting to look at 4bbl Holleys and Stealth intakes haha!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think she can pay you back better. Don't let her off that easy.;D
You'll need to pull the lid off the carb to get to the power valve if it's a Ford. If it's a Holley, you only need to pull off the front float bowl. Unscrew the power valve and try blowing through it with the opposite side plugged with your finger. The diaphram is what cracks and blows out.

OP
OP
S

Steve0

Checked the power valve and there aren't any leaks, couldn't even blow through it. Also checked distributor vacuum advance and it holds vacuum as well as moves across the points.

OP
OP
S

Steve0

FIXED!

I took the carb apart and found a nice big 'ol black chunk of something clogging the idle/main jets. That fixed the problem!

Thank you everyone for helping out.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
FIXED!

I took the carb apart and found a nice big 'ol black chunk of something clogging the idle/main jets. That fixed the problem!

Thank you everyone for helping out.

I'd look into putting a smaller micron fuel filter before the carb
good to hear its back up and running like a bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
So the question remaining - Was it the girls fault?;D I guess its good to let her think it is. Milk it while you can.....