• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need 6cyl and tranny help

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I have a 66 bronco with a 170 and a 3 speed in it. The clutch went out and I need to get it back on the road. I have been told there are 3 clutches for these (9", 93/8" and 93/4"). I would have to take it apart to find out right. I have been told they only make the 93/8" still is that correct. I also have a 1978 v8 C4 that I would like to put behind the 170. If I am going to spend $300 or more on a clutch setup I could put in the C4 for close to the same right. What would I need to do to put a 8cyl C4 behind a 6cyl 170. I am running a 66 bronco with a 170, 3 speed, dana 20, front 44 e-locker 5.38's, rear 9 detroit 5.38's, 5.5 lift and 35/13.5 Krawlers. Please help me get my baby back on the road.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Where there is a will, there's a way, but your problem is going to be the bell housing. I don't know of one that will bolt to the 170ci block. Mustangs came with a C4 behind them but don't think thats any help. I didn't really look at the bolt pattern on my 200 block when I had it out. Now the 250ci used a SBF bell but thats no help either. Maybe someone can be some help. I know a few people have pulled some six's lately, might be able to measure the bolt pattern. "crozetcrew"'s Dad has been working on the automatic setup, but don't know if he ever found a solution.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
I believe the 9 3/8's clutch is the only one anyone is selling. The impression I get is that it will replace the others.
To do the C4 swap you would have to get a bell housing from a car with a 144, 170, or 200 engine and a C4. And I don't know if that C4 has the correct adapter for the D20 Xcase.

OP
OP
burntfish

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I know I will have to get the C4 to dana 20 adapter. What I need is info on what bellhousing will work and if anything else on a V8 C4 will have to change to go to a 170.

Thanks on the clutch info.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Overall I think its all a waste and your not going to do it for $300 besides the t case adapter, correct C4 bellhousing flexplate and torque converter, You have to modify the crossmember and driveshafts as well then your way above $300 probably closer to $1000 or more.

But just for your info you'r best bet is probably to find a later model ford car ie mid 70's that has a 200 cid engine and get the C-4 and other needed compnents off of it and swap the C4/d20 adapter and output shaft onto it.

There are clutches availible I think 9in is the most common but at the very least a good parts store can send your old stuff out to get reconditioned,
With your overall setup I'd realy look into a V8 swap you'll get more power, a bigger clutch and bolt in transmissions. That little 170 and 9in clutch is really not suited for what you are trying to make it do.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
can't help much but the C4 has a removable bell (and the V8 bolt pattern on that bell). Go EB wiki or other research source to see if a car bell is avail. The J handeled T-case hangs off the back of the bronk C4. Use those prts. Better rebuild the C4 tougher, no? if it pushes big tires and gears (5 whats! 8-0).

I got ur FW or flex plate but no Tq converter.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I replaced the clutch in mine and every clutch I was able to find required some grinding in the bell housing to get it to fit. There is a guy on Ebay who sells a clutch for the straight six Bronco but I have no idea if it works without modification.

As for the C4, I'm doing that conversion. Here is what I'm doing. I got a 200 straight six with a C4 behind it out of a 68 Mustang. I paid $300 for it, I bought a Bronco adapter for the Dana 20 ( Another $200 ), Got a F150 Brake Pedal and an Automatic steering column. Everything will move back about 2 inches. I'm also considering using the Mustang floor shifter but leaning to the column shifter. I'll probably end up with another $300 rebuilding the C4 and probably run into several hundred more in things I didn't think of. So to make a long story short, you can put a C4 behind a small six but not the one you have and probably not gonna happen for anything close to $300

firefighter2134

Loc.
lincolnton, nc
i just pulled 200 cid and 3spd and had a 9 3/8 inch clutch. if you plan on doing any wheeling i would suggest to upgrade to a larger diaphram clutch.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I have a 66 bronco with a 170 and a 3 speed in it. The clutch went out and I need to get it back on the road. I have been told there are 3 clutches for these (9", 93/8" and 93/4"). I would have to take it apart to find out right. I have been told they only make the 93/8" still is that correct. I also have a 1978 v8 C4 that I would like to put behind the 170. If I am going to spend $300 or more on a clutch setup I could put in the C4 for close to the same right. What would I need to do to put a 8cyl C4 behind a 6cyl 170. I am running a 66 bronco with a 170, 3 speed, dana 20, front 44 e-locker 5.38's, rear 9 detroit 5.38's, 5.5 lift and 35/13.5 Krawlers. Please help me get my baby back on the road.

If its a case filled C-4 and it already has the 4x4 output shaft, then all, you would need would be a 6-cyl bell housing, torque converter, flex plate, shorter flywheel bolts and a 6-cyl filler tube and dipstick, and of course you would need the automatic adapter hsg. and spud shaft for the x-fer case. There is bound to be someone here who has done the conversion, try doing a search.

OP
OP
burntfish

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Thanks for all the great info . I have a injected 5.0 and a 5.8 in my yard but don't have the funds to swap 1 of them in anytime soon. I have been looking at the clutch from toms as it is an 18 finger instead of the normal 3. How long doo you think that clutch will last with my current setup. It only gets local driving and some local trails right now.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The number of fingers on the pressure plate really doesnt matter. All it really does is make the pedal a bit easier to push. Although most diaphram clutches do have a little less static pressure than the long style. but it shouldnt be a issue. I dont think you really have enough torque in that 170 to make much a differance at least not turning 35's with 5.38 gears.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
How long doo you think that clutch will last

depends on if U "ride it", loan it 2 some 1 else (even if they drive correctly each of us is different - therefore wears different), do alot of 'burn outs', 'slip it' on the hills or to move from a dead stop, your personal style of driving (C 'loan' above), teach some 1 how to drive a stick on it (I did the last 1), or loan it to the garage (unbeknownesed to me) who puts his close to 300 lb son on the plow and tries to back drag stone into a washed out dirt drive.
So, you see, it is hard to predict (unless doing the above often) but as some here indicate...pushin the 170 (gears/tires U use, I don't know bout the 'locked' I'm not "automotively" knowledgable) can shorten the clutch life (btw: throw out b. n pilot b. as well I believe).