• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

procedure and special tools needed for '76 D-44 ball Joints

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the knuckles are going to be rotated, How do I get the ball joints removed/installed on the '76?
Are they pressed or screwed?
thanks
reamer

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd really suggest getting a repair manual. It would answer most of your questions. The ball joints are pressed into the knuckle and held in with snap rings. As for tools you need a ball joint press, a spanner socket for the top adjuster, A torque wrench and you should have a pull guage to ensure the ball joints are not to tight after install.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to Autozone and get the balljoint press from the tool loan. It's pretty straight forward if you have an impact.

Make sure to spray them with some penetrating oil.

With $90 an hour rates at machine shops it will be tough to get them done for less than $50-$75 (you'll probably be charged an hour).

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
don't you "take the knuckles off" by removing the ball joints?

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
don't you "take the knuckles off" by removing the ball joints?
You remove the cotter pin and then the nut on each ball joint. That will allow you to remove the knuckle and the ball joints as a unit. You then have to press the ball joints out of the knuckle.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got my ball joint press from harbor freight for like $40 it also works very well on removing and installing ujoints. I've used it on quite a few other things as well its handy to have.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
if i am removing the knuckles but want the ball joints to stay int he knuckle, what do i use to separate the ball joints form the axle tube?

they are tapered shafts right? so pickle fork?

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
The tapered fit gets stuck pretty good sometimes, definitely try the pickle fork first. If that does not do it some times a second person with a pry bar applying pressure helps. One word of caution keep at least one of the ball joint nuts loose on a ball joint so the knuckle does not crash down to the ground uncontrolled.

turbotim2

If you are using a pickle fork and intend on keeping the ball joints, be careful not to destroy the boots. I have found that pounding on the side of the axle adjacent to where the ball joint shaft is mounted will pop them free with no damage to the ball joint or boot.