• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'87 Crown Vic 5.0???

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Ok, been hunting for an EFI engine for my '73 Bronco project. I found a 1987 Crown Victoria with 52,000 original miles. I haven't gone to look at it yet but the owner (original) states it is the same 5.0 as the Mustang. Is it the same and will it work fine in my Bronco???

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not the same internally but it will work fine in your Bronco. The Crown Vic intakes are flipped from the Mustangs, pointing the throttle body toward the drivers side but you can flip it so the throttle body points to the passenger side.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
When you say "not the same internally", does that mean there are more significant differences other than the intake? Is it not as high performance or am I going to have a harder time finding aftermarket parts? I guess I am wondering if I should stick with a 87-93 mustang 5.0 motor or 94-96 Bronco 351 for my build? As always, any help is appreciated as I am pretty new to this. Thanks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Heads will be standard heads, not the E7s
Cam will be different, flat tappet regular cam and not the roller HO cam
Distributor drive gear to go with the cam
Different computer
So much less HP that the injectors will be smaller 14 LB/hr instead of the 19Lb/HR found on the mustang
regular cast pistons instead of the HO TRW forged.
I may be wrong (and probably am) but I thought the crown vic also got a smaller throttle body.

It looks like an HO motor with the intake flipped, but it is just a regular little 'ol 302 that has a basic speed density fuel injection on it. 160 HP if I recall (again probably off a little, maybe 180, 140?)

Nice little motor, but don't buy it as an HO, it isn't. If you just want a nice running, easy starting injected engine then this is a nice choice, get it. If installed as if it were in a crown vic, it will run like it was in a crown vic. Good engine.
If you are expecting an HO, this is not it. Not cost effective to convert to an HO either.

Back in '87 the (idiot) salesperson probably gave him the line "It has a Mustang engine in it" and opened the hood of a Mustang parked right next to it, they do liik the same. Any lie for a sale, even if the salesperson didn't know they were lying. The fuel injection stuff was new back then.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone heard of taking a 351W from a 94-96 Bronco and putting a GT40 head on it? Is that a common/good way to go for a nice EFI engine setup?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Has anyone heard of taking a 351W from a 94-96 Bronco and putting a GT40 head on it? Is that a common/good way to go for a nice EFI engine setup?

You mean like the factory did on the lightening engine
First gen F150 lightening is what you should look for. The intake works very well and is a very desirable piece.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You can also leave it facing L. I put that CV intake on Frank's '88 F150 5.0L, and his truck runs fine. Power enough to tow a big Aluminum boat, and reliable enough to be his only vehicle.

This is a Lightning: