• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone have a pic of Ford DUI distributor installed?

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I seem to have clearance issues. The DUI slides in place of the old distributor quite nicely But its the cap thats giving me trouble The fastener hits the top of the manifold. I can close the cap first and try to stick it in but then I would have timing issues. Does anybody have a pic of this distributor installed?
32820.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think there are quite a few here Herman, so someone should be able to post one up fairly soon. In the meantime, there was one just the other day I think. Maybe in the thread about "eating points for breakfast" or something like that?

What intake manifold do you have? And is the interference at the thermostat housing, or somewhere else?

Basically though, clearance issues are the main subject when discussing HEI style distributors in Broncos. Second only to reliability problems with the cheap ebay knockoffs and Procomp (I think?) brands.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Thanks Paul.

The distrubutor is from BC Broncos so definitely not a knock off. The distributor cover is held down by 4 L-shaped clamps attached to the cap. One of these clamps basically hits the manifold.

I cant say exactly which manifold it is except that its one by Weiland.

The heater core pipe is no longer an issue since I have the manual shutoff valve from BC Broncos also. That no longer touches the distributor.

I can fasten the cap first and drop the distributor without issues but then I will have a timing issue.

But then again I am slightly retarded when it comes to these things. ;D Watch a pic pop up and im like DUH!!!! And so I hope.... I want to do these things myself - gotta learn ya know....

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
My dad has a Weiand intake on his Fairlane and we had to rotate the dizzy a little to clear the cap locking pins. His actually touches the manifold at the base of the electrical plug. Remember you can turn the body of the dizzy wherever you need it to clear the pins(within reason) as long as the rotor points at #1 when it's dropped into place. Your clearance issue is with the Weiand intake because I have the same dizzy as my dad but with an Edelbrock intake and have no issues. Hope this helps.

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
I have a DUI in my 72 with a a 351w the only issue i had was cutting a notch in the hood support so it would close. I do have a edlebrock intake if that matters.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Awesome!! Thanks so much for the info. So I got the distributor to fit quite nicely and all clears well. The rotor is pointed to wire #1 to connected to cylinder #1

firewall
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Radiator

Firing order: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

Rotor is pointed to #! and in a counter clockwise position I connected the wires in firing order.

Someone please confirm the above so I dont blow something up. BTW whats the worse that can happen if I do f**k it up? Just wondering. Second chances are always nice to have.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
If you have a stock cam your firing order is correct. If you have a later model HO cam or something out of the ordinary you need to either check you cam card or google it. I can't remeber my firing order off the top of my head but it's different because I have a '95 HO cam in my motor.

If you firing order is wrong you can blow the power valve in your carb when it backfires. But I think worse case is you could bend a valve or punch a hole in a piston if the two were to meet so be sure. I wasn't aware of the different firing order when I changed my cam and it was ugly for a few minutes until I looked it up on the internet. Fixed the firing order and it fired right up.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I dont think you'll hurt anything if you get the wires wrong. Just might not run or run like crap. Then again I did put a dizzy in 180 degrees out one time and blew the welded seem on my muffler. lol. Sounded like a 12 gage going off. Sorry dont know the firing order off the top of my head.
My bad ^^^ I guess you can mess something up. Never heard of that before.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
BTW my firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. As far as I know this is the only other 302/5.0 firing order.

Google confirms that your original firing order is correct as well for the older 302 motors.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
BTW my firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. As far as I know this is the only other 302/5.0 firing order.

Google confirms that your original firing order is correct as well for the older 302 motors.

I guess I just have to hope I dont have your firing order ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Cam timing has nothing to do with distributor timing. You can not bend a valve or break a piston by putting in the distributor wrong. Put the cam in wrong and now were talkin.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
If you have a stock cam your firing order is correct. If you have a later model HO cam or something out of the ordinary you need to either check you cam card or google it. I can't remeber my firing order off the top of my head but it's different because I have a '95 HO cam in my motor.

If you firing order is wrong you can blow the power valve in your carb when it backfires. But I think worse case is you could bend a valve or punch a hole in a piston if the two were to meet so be sure. I wasn't aware of the different firing order when I changed my cam and it was ugly for a few minutes until I looked it up on the internet. Fixed the firing order and it fired right up.

?? How could a valve and piston come in contact just due to improper firing order? That doesnt make sense to me.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Cam timing has nothing to do with distributor timing. You can not bend a valve or break a piston by putting in the distributor wrong. Put the cam in wrong and now were talkin.

Bax is right(as usual) I don't know what I was thinking. Dizzy timing will just make the spark plug fire at the incorrect time. Duh%)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ

Coming from an uber guru, its comforting!! Thanks