• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

backspacing and 76 dana44

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Guys...

I've been collecting parts for my next build. I have a 76 dana44 and have read about the issues with the knuckles. 17 in wheels seems to be the fix but I'm wondering is there a certain backspacing requirement?

I have yet to buy wheels and tires and looking at 4 wheel parts on line they're listing 2.5 and 4.5 inch backspacing on 17x8.5 and 17x9 wheels

OP
OP
NC-Fordguy

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Haven't gotten that far yet as this project is still a pile of parts. I plan on using a T style linkage of some sorts(heims or GM tro) on top of the knuckle

From what I have read here this sort of set-up will cause clearance issues with 15 in wheels. 17 in wheels will clear apparentley

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm running 15" wheels with 3 3/4" back spacing on my 76'. I switched over to the Stonecrusher steering set up, it clears the wheels, but then I changed it to tie rod over knuckle. I just needed a 1/4" wheel spacer to make it clear. 17" wheels wouldn't have any problem.

jrcflash

I run the tie rod under setup from Extreme Custom Fab on my 76-77 Dana44 front end. They require approx 3" BS on 15 inch wheels. I would guess you could get away with a little more with larger wheels.

I do recommend the tie rod set up from these guys. Very beefy and a good vendor to work with.